FORK SEALS

SteveMorrisUK

Registered
Hi all
I have a 2002 K2 Gen1, and every year even when I have not ridden my bike much through the year, I have to change the for seals for the MOT, I have never come across this problem with my other bikes over the years just this one, I have checked the chrome on the fork, but all looks good, just the normal very light scoring as you would normally get, I have tried all seals, from cheap and nasty, up to probably the most expensive on the market ( original lol) but still have the same problem, I have checked to make sure they are not bent either.....so any ideas? or is it just a trait with the busa

I would start looking for another set of forks. Would be a good time to upgrade to a gen 2 front if you want better braking.

I can assure you it is not a “trait of the Busa”,
Do you lube the seals before installing them?
Do you use the correct amount of oil?
Do you use OEM genuine seals?
Have you followed the manuals installation instructions to the letter?
I have only replaced seals on my gen 1 forks once, 38000kms ago, and they are not leaking at all.

Like Kiwi Rider said, there are a lot of little mistakes during installation that can cause fork seals to leak. There are also bikes that just don't like fork seals. I have a CRF450R that hates fork seals. I can't explain it, no matter what I do I can't keep them from leaking.

Hi all
I have a 2002 K2 Gen1, and every year even when I have not ridden my bike much through the year, I have to change the for seals for the MOT, I have never come across this problem with my other bikes over the years just this one, I have checked the chrome on the fork, but all looks good, just the normal very light scoring as you would normally get, I have tried all seals, from cheap and nasty, up to probably the most expensive on the market ( original lol) but still have the same problem, I have checked to make sure they are not bent either.....so any ideas? or is it just a trait with the busa
Not riding any bike is hard on fork seals.

i never had that probs and i guess i replaced 3 or 4 dozens of fork seals already.

i personally prefer the seals from "All Balls" or the originals from suzuki.

and a little hint btw.
the fork seals of gen1 and gen2 are 100% equal in their size.

i never had that probs and i guess i replaced 3 or 4 dozens of fork seals already.

i personally prefer the seals from "All Balls" or the originals from suzuki.

and a little hint btw.
the fork seals of gen1 and gen2 are 100% equal in their size.
Hi Berlin, thanks for the heads up, I have had all balls, they lasted a little longer than original ones did, will keep on looking, maybe I should purchase another pair of forks and see how it goes...

This guy put foam in between the dust and oil seals, claims victory:

cool that's an idea, last year because I was working away allot, I didn't have time to change them, so just slipped the dust covers down, wrapped a couple of wraps of ptfe tape, pushed the dust covers back up and did the trick, all for about an hour lol, then I replaced them again...getting expert in them lol

I just had mine replaced for the third time in 14 years. The originals went out fairly soon and then a tumbleweed smashed into the forks from a side wind while I was doing over 150 a couple years later. A splinter wedged itself under the seal or wiper and it began leaking. Some ten years later the left side began leaking for the third time. I only replaced the seals on my Hondas once, @ around 50,000 miles.

@WuzzaCBXRider

I assume that both sides of the fork have been redone each time.
thus you have apparently renewed the oil after the maximum life of 5-6 years, which the fork itself can only do well.

@all
because - all mineral-based oils age and are more or less destroyed after 5-6 years.
it does not matter how many kilometers you have made with it - it is solely a question of the age of the oil.
then its smearability / lubricity drops to zero and practically only has the lubrication quality of water.
even if the bike was in the yard etc. for this time, the life of the oil is over.
and

even if the fork oil has been stored in a sealed container in the shade and cool, it is no longer good after these 5-6 years at the latest and should be disposed of urgently.
it is best to change the oil after a maximum of 4 years.
this is the clear statement from the engineer of my fork oil manufacturer / supplier.
"my" manufacturer stamps the bottles / cans with two dates
1st : fill in date
2nd : best before

and i expand this statement with my personal recommendation, that the fork oil should be renewed every 25-30,000 km or after 4-5 years at the latest, which happens earlier. - age or milage ;-)

btw - a buddy changes the fork oil on his fj1200 every year - no matter how many kilometers/miles he has ridden on his bike. (usual for him are 12-15,000 km per year)

@SteveMorrisUK
on the other hand, i am very surprised that the sealing rings leak so quickly with some - i have already had busas on my ramp where the oil was 90,000 km / over 15 years in the fork and nothing was leaking.
(the bad bad smell from the fork oil really was very close to that from the sewer! i was very close to puking! )

in summary, i personally would look for another fork.
the current fork seems to be damaged somewhere.

or! - my experience a few years ago - you inserted the seals incorrectly - but then the fork already leaks after about 300-500 km. :-(

or! - my experiance some years ago - you put the seals into the wrong way - but then the fork leaks after around 300-500 km. :-(

@WuzzaCBXRider

I assume that both sides of the fork have been redone each time.
thus you have apparently renewed the oil after the maximum life of 5-6 years, which the fork itself can only do well.

@all
because - all mineral-based oils age and are more or less destroyed after 5-6 years.
it does not matter how many kilometers you have made with it - it is solely a question of the age of the oil.
then its smearability / lubricity drops to zero and practically only has the lubrication quality of water.
even if the bike was in the yard etc. for this time, the life of the oil is over.
and

even if the fork oil has been stored in a sealed container in the shade and cool, it is no longer good after these 5-6 years at the latest and should be disposed of urgently.
it is best to change the oil after a maximum of 4 years.
this is the clear statement from the engineer of my fork oil manufacturer / supplier.
"my" manufacturer stamps the bottles / cans with two dates
1st : fill in date
2nd : best before

and i expand this statement with my personal recommendation, that the fork oil should be renewed every 25-30,000 km or after 4-5 years at the latest, which happens earlier. - age or milage ;-)

btw - a buddy changes the fork oil on his fj1200 every year - no matter how many kilometers/miles he has ridden on his bike. (usual for him are 12-15,000 km per year)

@SteveMorrisUK
on the other hand, i am very surprised that the sealing rings leak so quickly with some - i have already had busas on my ramp where the oil was 90,000 km / over 15 years in the fork and nothing was leaking.
(the bad bad smell from the fork oil really was very close to that from the sewer! i was very close to puking! )

in summary, i personally would look for another fork.
the current fork seems to be damaged somewhere.

or! - my experience a few years ago - you inserted the seals incorrectly - but then the fork already leaks after about 300-500 km. :-(

or! - my experiance some years ago - you put the seals into the wrong way - but then the fork leaks after around 300-500 km. :-(
well now on the look out for a pair of forks, they may be bent but extremely slightly because I can't see any bends in them, but who knows what has happened to the bike in the past, I will say though on original fairing there were a lot of very deep scratches covered over by Kanji badge, so I am presuming at some point this bike has been binned, and hence could have damaged the forks in the process, so, who knows, anyway, I change my oil every year lol, just thought I would point that out lol, and no not to my knowledge I have put them in wrong, I think I will go with the slightly bent theory...:D.....the forks that is...

Back