Fork Seals

Registered
Ok I've recently noticed the left side seal is goin. Rode it to the gym tonight and on the way back noticed a "knock" in the front upon rebound after braking. I've checked the rotor buttons, calipers, and head bearings all seem tight with no play. The bike has 4500 miles. Been sitting for sometime with not much use. 1st question is...would low fork oil cause the "knock"? 2ND question..should I change the springs? I'm 225 lbs and ride tandem often. I m certain I can change the seals myself via the Org. info. Thanks for any suggestions and info.

Last edited:
I am roughly the same weight and I have enough preload adjustment that I am not be concerned with heavier sprngs. Riding tandem will have more affect on the rear spring.

I've just read through Jinksters suspension thread and have gotten the adjustment aspect down. I definitely need to set both ends after the seals are replaced. Thanks for the reply.

I found an engine mount slightly loose that caused a knock ,worth checking as it costs nothing

With the bike on a rear stand I can roll forward and hit the front brake and duplicate the sound. I've yanked violently on the front forks with absolutely zero deflection or play. I'll check the engine mounts, and tree nut this evening. Thanks for the help so far guys.

My bottom mount was loose ,even though it looked tight, you will need to take off right side pannel to check them all (4 I think )though the bottom can be tighten by removing bottom panel

You will hear a knock when applying the front brake. I only hear mine when the bikes not running

You will hear a knock when applying the front brake. I only hear mine when the bikes not running
I've come to the conclusion that's what it is. I've checked and double checked everything I can think of. Only thing I came across was 1 out of torque header bolt.

As for the seal, I made one of those "seal mates" and cleaned the lip as best as I can. After oil change ill know if it worked or not. Like I've said it's an 09 with 4500 miles on the clock. (actual milage is less, due to the -1 +3 gearing. Previous owner did not have a speedo healer installed. I did that.) So I really can't imagine the seals are blown, just dirty. But either way I'm ready to tackle it if need be. Thanks for the info guys. Such a knowledgeable forum. Full of class.

A seal can go at anytime. Milage has nothing to do with it. Belive it or not the worst thing on seals is washing it. If you don't dry and get rid of all the water spots on the lower leg the calcium in the spots will eat a seal quick.

When you do the seals go with the Race Tech fork springs. They only cost $100. and make a big difference. You will need some special tools to do the fork seals. Could be done with the tool but a little harder.

Yes or no on springs? No racing just touring.

Try and set the suspension sag first and see what you get.
At your weight you likely won't get the forks to 35-40mm of sag.
Springs will improve the ride, but if you just like to cruise, you may not notice.

The failure rate for fork seals is significantly higher when the bike is not ridden dries them up when the bike just sits there IMO good luck :thumbsup:

Im with NOSBIG on this. After every clean wipe the exposed fork leg with Silicone Spray on a cloth. I've never (touch wood) popped a fork seal in 20 years.

Back