Fork seals

06+5 bussa

Registered
I just need to change my fork seals do i need to pull the forks and go through the whole process of changing oil and spring? I'm new to this so no flaming please lol(i have pretty good mech. ability).

I just need to change my fork seals do i need to pull the forks and go through the whole process of changing oil and spring? I'm new to this so no flaming please lol(i have pretty good mech. ability).
Talk to gixerHP John is the man I dropped mine off at the dealer $432.00 not to big a price to pay for safety and piece of mind

Thanks......I'm trying to do it myself. I'll take a look at the book. Just thought some one would know a lil trick to changing these out themselves. I'll just go by the sticky i saw on here. Thanks any way.....

Last edited:
I used the tutorial done on here by another member as well and it worked great. The only difference I had was changing them solo which left me without the extra help to compress the fork. I used a ratchet tie-down strap attached to each bolt on the compression tool and it worked great. Total cost was 2 seals and a quart of oil. :thumbsup:

Thanks......I'm trying to do it myself. I'll take a look at the book. Just thought some one would know a lil trick to changing these out themselves. I'll just go by the sticky i saw on here. Thanks any way.....

good luck to ya then go for it:thumbsup:

Im have completely torn mine down and put it back together but forks no thanks

I had done about all there was to do to a bike including engine rebuild, but never messed with forks until 2 months ago. i followed the write up on here and it went smooth as can be. I re-sprung it while i had it apart and what a difference!!!! If you weigh more than 180 pounds you will benefit from stiffer springs.

not to thread jack but would you mind posting what springs you went with. im a lil over 200 and I could use some stiffer ones.

i went with 1.1 kg/mm from traxxion dynamics. stock is .85 i believe. Also i went with 10w silkolene race fork oil. What a difference. The front feels very planted now. Also if you change the springs, don't forget to cut down the aluminum spacer. It cut very nicely with a pipe cutter. I ride with some experienced riders on gsxr1k's and other liter bikes and they no longer loose me in the twisties. I'm right on their ass or ahead of them.

Yes, You need to take the fork apart to change the seals. Its not to bad to do, it helps to have a friend with you. You can just change the oil and seals and you will be good to go. changein springs is a good idea, but money is not always available...

Last edited:
Ok i went ahead and started on the forks everything so far is going smooth(took longer to make the tools than taking everything apart lol) Putting the fork oil in when i get off work. I hope that goes as smooth as the rest of it lol.

just make sure you fill it with fork oil properly, or you will have problems. compress the fork completely, fill with oil to the top of the outer tube, pump the outer tube up and down on the inner tube multiple times, refill with fluid, pump the damper rod multiple times. let it sit for 10 minutes and then repeat.

sorry, got distracted. Don't forget to set the oil to the proper lever after your done getting all the air out.

Ok took bout 2hrs to finish.I pumped till i didn't see anymore air bubbles while adding a lil oil each time. Put everything back together and took for a test ride seems to be riding ALOT better. Thanks to everyones help and the sticky i read. I saved myself ALOT of money and very confident i could do this again(makes it all worth while). Thanks again......

Well i thought all was good:banghead:If i hit a bad bump in the road it feels like i'm bottoming out:banghead: I guess i need to pull them back off. My question is do i need to empty the fork oil again or just tear them down to the point to where i need to bleed the air out again(maybe i didn't get all there air out i guess)This sucks.....Thanks again ahead of time for your help

How does it feel like it's bottoming out? A better description would help. what did you set your fork oil level to?

I put the recomended 16.2 oz in each fork by the manual. Is there something else i should have done? Ok if i hit a rough bump in the road it feels like its hitting a stop or something like its metal to metal. it feels ok until i hit a bump or bring the front off the ground(and i don't mean i'm slamming it down).I know its got to something i've done,because with the seals leaking and very low on oil it didn't do this. Thanks again for your quik reply

Got it right now.......I was my fault(witch i knew lol) didn't get all the air out on one tube. I want to thank busa dave for all his help and patience through several pm's in trying to help me find my problem. Thanks again dave

thats what this place is all about unlike me I cant teach because I dont know the bigger stuff but somebody always does

Back