Fork seal replacement

nectrplnt

Registered
I need to get this done as I'm starting to creep up on mileage. I've heard contradicting stories on aftermarket vs stock and also if this is an easy job to do in my garage. What do you guys think? Suggestions?

Are they leaking? There's no real mileage on when they should be changed. Mine started leaking at about 8k, while I know people that have over 20k on stock forks.

It's not terribly hard to do, just a little messy and time consuming. If your looking to have your forks internally lowered, you can send them to me. Seal change is included with lowering.

Are they leaking? There's no real mileage on when they should be changed.

No real need to replace the seals if the forks are not leaking. There is no factory requirements on fork service. However, fork oil should be changed every two years if you expect top performance. Fork oil becomes contaminated and looses it's viscosity just like engine oil. Twobrothersbusa has an easy "How To" thread above.

I have 35k on my 06 busa. I've been told that I'm getting some uneven tire wear because my forks seals are leaking a little. Also I see a little residue on the bottom of the forks sometimes. I also don't think I've ever changed this since I've owned my busa. Oh and she's lowered a little, via sliding the forks through the aftermarket triple tree holder.

With 35K & 7 years on the forks I'd certainly service those puppies and include both oil & dust seals.

If you spank the fat chick once in a while you may also consider installing a little stiffer spring while she is apart. Takes a couple special tools but not difficult to do. Your OEM springs are 8.5 which is pretty soft.

OEM oil is 5wt. I upgrade to 7wt in order to gain a little more rebound. Most Suzuki forks don't have enough rebound from the factory.

I have 35k on my 06 busa. I've been told that I'm getting some uneven tire wear because my forks seals are leaking a little. Also I see a little residue on the bottom of the forks sometimes. I also don't think I've ever changed this since I've owned my busa. Oh and she's lowered a little, via sliding the forks through the aftermarket triple tree holder.

Ok, yes it's definitely time fore a rebuilt. And tufbusa is absolutely right, factory springs are super soft. I heavier springs are always a very good upgrade on these bikes.

If it's a fork lift stand, you still won't be able to pull the forks out without supporting the bike somehow. If it's a yolk mounted stand, even with the front wheel off I'm not sure you would have enough room to pull the forks all the way out.

Yolk mounted? Autocorrect got you there buddy.

I have 30K on my bike and no leaks. I always keep the sliders clean and wipe them down when I wipe down the bike. I try to do this on a weekly basis but usually sooner but then again I'm kinda a nut when it comes to keeping my bike clean. If I drive in the rain, which is only when I cannot avoid it, I clean them before I get going again.

30K and except for a few light scratches on the back of the tank and a few nicks from rocks here and there it looks just like I drove it off the showroom floor.

Old thread but I noticed some weeping on the right side at 55K and she blew out at 57K. Left seal is still good with no leaks. Fork has never been serviced and works just fine. Will be doing it myself in about a month.

DB6F58B1-C1F6-446C-B6F1-A4773FFE8628.jpeg

8B3692F5-C4E7-4108-B9F1-BB65DBD1CED4.png

0B333A27-2FA2-4993-8EEB-1F0E87A66BCD.jpeg

I found a YouTube video of a guy doing the seals on his GENII and he used this homemade tool. I copied his setup and worked like a charm coupled with a ratchet strap to compress the springs

4DA5620D-D48E-4F3E-A335-2666853F62E7.jpeg

Back