Fork seal leaking again

CYCLEERIC

Biker Man
Donating Member
Registered
I've got a left fork seal leaking again and going to attempt the replacement myself . Can you guys offer any tips or advise on special tools that I may need ? I've got the seals and dust boots from the local dealer and a fresh bottle of 10w fork oil for the job . I also got some new goodies going on at the same time and going to get the paint buffed out since it's almost a year since I installed the candy brandywine on it .

If your fork seal has started leaking again recently, you might want to have the strut looked at. If its pitted, it will only damage the new fork seal causing it to leak again.

yeah Im ging to check for any pits , scratches even ging to check to make positive it is straight . I can imagine it's not straight but this is the 3 time it has leaked in 11,000 miles . I do wheelie a good bit and that's probably the reason but my TLR or GSXR in the past never gave any trouble.

My left side just went too, is this a possible 2003 problem? I wheelie a little bit but not as much as my ol 2000 model and never had a prob.

rock.gif
- K

We used a Vrod fork tool to get it apart with no problems . It only took about 45 minutes after getting them out of the trees. It was alot less work than I figured after being quoted almost 200 dollars by the local dealer and that was if I only took them the forks out of the bike .
rock.gif

I just spent some serious time trying to figure out why my bike has been so stiff after getting new fork seals and fork oil replaced. I also had it lowered front and rear. The ride was so stiff I couldn't barely stand it. Not knowing what the problem was, I raised it back up, tried adjusting the suspension and ended up having to replace a fork seal and fork cap in the process. Each time sticking with the 10W fork oil. After all of this, the suspension was still very stiff. One dealer called Suzuki tech support for me and they told him there was 2 equivalents/recommendations for the Suzuki L01 fork oil. 1) Bel-Ray HVI Racing suspension oil 5W or 2) Spectro 125/150 cartridge fork oil.

Not having either of those in stock anywhere that I could quickly find, I used Bel-Ray 5W fork oil. This fixed my problem! I don't know how anyone could use the 10W at all!!!

Yep, my local wrench guy got the dibs on the 5 w and he races alot and said the 10 would be a bit heavy. Mine are back together and all good ... for now.
wink.gif

Back