Fork Oil

I would only do it when you replace fork seals.
Other than that, it should stay clean.
Have you had to do the seals yet?

Hey Welcome!

:welcome:

If it's not leaking or having handling issues then not really.

I swapped mine (During a fork seal replacement.) over to 7.5 Sikolene oil, made a world of difference in handling and road feel.

Fork oil gets old and breaks down just like any other oil. The wear on the inner moving parts create debree particles and there is no filtering system.

I change my fork oil and seals annually along with the brake fluid. Every time I change the fork oil there is black residue collected on all the metal surfaces that has been in contact with the oil.

While it's not mandatory to service the forks that often under normal street use I feel you should service them at least every other year.

Fork oil gets old and breaks down just like any other oil. The wear on the inner moving parts create debree particles and there is no filtering system.

I change my fork oil and seals annually along with the brake fluid. Every time I change the fork oil there is black residue collected on all the metal surfaces that has been in contact with the oil.

While it's not mandatory to service the forks that often under normal street use I feel you should service them at least every other year.

+1 it goes bad just like motor oil...every other year or every 15,000 miles when you get your valves checked would be good too :thumbsup:

See Tuf if you used 90w you wouldn't have to change it as often. :whistle:

Just kidding.
My seals go every 2 years or so and that is when I change mine.
Suzuki does not have any schedule to change it at all.
What you said is true, and I guess it depends on mileage etc. but it can't hurt to change it.

Mikey, how the hell did you know I use 90w in my forks? You been sneaking around my garage? ???

I don't think most guys pay much attention to their forks as long as they aren't leaking. And most of the time I think they only notice a leak when there is a puddle on the floor under the front wheel.

I'm a firm believer in preventive maintenance. As my daddy taught me, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". :beerchug:

I'm a firm believer in preventive maintenance. As my daddy taught me, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". :beerchug:

I'm there too.
My seals leak often enough that I haven't had to worry about the interval.
If there is any oil residue on my forks at all the seals and oil get changed.
Like this:
This leak wasn't even a spoonful a year, but they got changed.

leak.JPG

Last edited:
Mikey, how the hell did you know I use 90w in my forks? You been sneaking around my garage? ???

I don't think most guys pay much attention to their forks as long as they aren't leaking. And most of the time I think they only notice a leak when there is a puddle on the floor under the front wheel.

is why guys buy used bikes... seal blew months ago and no oil to leak... they never notice the difference... :laugh: I heard you used "ATF" in yours :whistle:

Busaboy01:
I hope you know we were all kidding about the oils we were saying to use.
The most used weight is 2.5w to 5w.
I use Bel Ray Fork oil 5w.
Others will chime in too about their preference.
If the oil is too heavy, it can pop the seals.
Good Luck!

Back