Ford Ranger Auto Trans Problems

Mason357

Registered
Ok the 03 Ranger that I just bought to restore and donate to the wolf sanctuary has a trans issue. When I shift into reverse or drive it slips it acts like its going to try to move like moves a inch then the rpms increase and it doesn't move I can rev up to redline and it won't move. Does this in drive and reverse. When I try to go to 1 it won't go to 1 it stops at 2 like there's no 1 to go to shifter is like at the end of movement hits a wall. So I can't get to 1st manually with the shifter. Now I put it in 2 and it moves as it should 2 works fine but when I go to 2 and it goes in gear its rough like when you go to 2 and give it gas it slams hard into gear.

Now knowing you can go to drive from 2 while moving I pulled out on the road in 2 and when I got up some speed shifted into drive and it went through the rest of the gears fine even went into overdrive. I've only rebuilt 1 automatic transmission the infamous Christler A604 and it was a pita so I don't know much about automatics I prefer stick. I think not sure but doesn't reverse and 1st use the same setting there's just a reverse idler gear that reverses the rotation of the mainshaft using 1st So to the auto trans experts what could be causing this and why can't I select 1st with the shifter?

Fox

Back