For us older guys....

New school thinking is that you are entitled to perfection and guaranteed safety... We used to think those things were elusive and to be gained.

New school thinking is that you are entitled to perfection and guaranteed safety... We used to think those things were elusive and to be gained.

Very true...heard recently schools are trying to do away with allowing kids to be part of the Honor Society; it'll only lead to those that don't try as hard feeling bad about themselves...

What's wrong with American kids today?? THAT... :banghead:

My first bike when I was 18 was an 02 gsxr 1k. Only ever kick started dirt bikes and quads. But I have push started plenty of cars. And I don't think I've owned anything with a carb except a... Never mind . And I'm 27, so it's not just the latest generation.

But I do appreciate the classics. Side note, getting a 92 gsx eclipse to run good at 20lb of boost gets plenty of gas an oil on your hands.

The original Fast and Furious movie marked the beginning of the end.
Masses of idiots who belived a fart can muffler, big round air filter, and a wing made a Civic go from super fast:laugh: to even faster...and then taught other idiots their "knowledge" of cars. AKA, making them slower, hacked up, and how to make a Honda undependable(takes real talent to do that).
I'm about to turn 36, and also grew up with and working on 2-strokes, kick starters, carburetors, points, 60's, 70's and 80's bikes and cars. My Dad showed my how to rebuild my 1st bike at age 12, a 79 Suzuki TS100, 2-stroke. I loved bikes from my earliest memories, but that's what got me started. Nothing smells as good as a 2-stroke!
I will say though, when it's freezing cold outside and I push the start button on a fuel injected bike, it's so nice that it starts right up and stays running:laugh:

Lol ^^^ turbo dsm's are my only import vice. Don't throw me in with Honda guys.

image-711298091.jpg

And mine loved the dirt.

image-711298091.jpg

And the generation before us laughed as us because we had water cooled four strokes.
They had Triumphs and MotoGuzzis and we had Katanas and Gs's.
As one who's getting old you are just realizing it by noticing how different you are from the current group of know it all youngins! When your sons is grown up a Hayabusa will seem old. They will have mag lev vehicles that you and I can't imagine.

Very true...heard recently schools are trying to do away with allowing kids to be part of the Honor Society; it'll only lead to those that don't try as hard feeling bad about themselves...

What's wrong with American kids today?? THAT... :banghead:

It says more about leadership than it does about the kids:banghead: Madd Maxx on John Bill & Billy had a rant this morning about that.... No awards for achievments..like going to school and not missing, good grades, etc... make the underachevers feel bad...:banghead: Like he said "why, just saved them being stuffed into a locker :laugh:"

It says more about leadership than it does about the kids:banghead: Madd Maxx on John Bill & Billy had a rant this morning about that.... No awards for achievments..like going to school and not missing, good grades, etc... make the underachevers feel bad...:banghead: Like he said "why, just saved them being stuffed into a locker :laugh:"

I agree 100%...it's maddening...aim for mediocrity kids, nothing more. You're all the same anyway, no matter what you do :banghead:

Here is my two cents.

STOP GOING TO KFC :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Does anyone hear....................................... crickets

anyways....
I cant say I miss setting points with a pack of matches on the side of the road in the dark with a zippo lighter hoping the qaudrajet wasnt leaking gas.
Nor mixing gas and oil in that old KD100 or puch moped, yes I had a puch moped when I was 15 beat riding a bicycle and a piston kit was a cheap thrill to a warp speed of 45 mph LOL! Dont laugh I out ran a cop in an undercover crown vic going down a hill 50+ in a 25 going off road laughing as his pusute ended, later to find out he was the police chief in my town and knew who I was cause he lived on the same street:banghead: Knocking on my door after I put the moped up in the shed and hid in the house.
Most of todays youth are to lazy or affraid of getting dirty, Hell when is the last time you seen kids riding BMX bikes?

big-wheel-jump.jpg

I my first street bike was a 82 cb650sc. My room mate was amazed that I synchronized all 4 carbs within a 1/8 of hg. It was not my intent to do that I just had to ride the bike 6 miles to the guys house that had the manometer.

I consider my self lucky that I helped rebuild a Chevy 350 with my dad when I was 8 and it only went up from there. I had to take an aptitude test prior to getting an interview at an autoparts store. They were amazed a 17 year old had the equivalent knowledge of a 37 year old. I am sure that is not the case now.

As for points I am glad to be rid of them they drive me nuts. Yes some times that is a short drive.

Some new kids will never know the fun of the drive in movie with friends, poping 2 bags of popcorn because they were double features .

i tinkered...would rather not anymore...to tired...not enough time..would rather ride and relax

my first cycle was a 1970 Norton 750 commando. Aaaaaa the good old days. own an old English bike and you will know why the called Lucas the Prince of Darkness! The electrical system on that motorcycle sucked!

Tinkering... to be sure i dont lose the touch i bought a 2011 Busa, did my oil change this morning, took me 4X the time that i needed in the 80s, plastics and oil everywhere... getting to old for that sh..

I just turned 60. My first bike was a Norton 750 that could break your ankle when you [had to] kickstart it. Later, I had a '72 Honda 750 four, with a full-on and functional kickstarter that you could use if you wanted to, or you could just electric start it, which I did if no girls were watching me from the curbside. Then a few years later, I had a '78 or so Suzuki GS 1000 with a kickstarter in the tool kit that you could take out of the little vinyl bag and bolt it on and use it if the electric starter failed, and there wasn't a downhill stretch nearby. Likewise, I think a Yamaha XS 1100 I once owned had a provisional kickstarter that was analogous to the "doughnut spare" that many modern cars have in the trunk; basically useless unless you were really stuck somewhere. And then in later years, I owned bikes that had no provision AT ALL for kickstarting, and while I now love using the electric starter with all of its convenience, I miss having the manly ritual of kickstarting available to me should I choose to use it, not that there are any girls watching anymore, except for my loving wife, who probably doesn't know a kickstarter from sourdough starter, no offense to her. Speaking of old bikes, let's have a look at my "old" 1999 Gen I Hayabusa that I curently own. I figure that if it is a 1999 model, it must have hit the dealership late in 1998, which means it was probably made in 1997 with a design from 1995 or so. So it's basically a 16-year-old bike, and it's the "oldest" bike I have ever owned, meaning that I am starting to feel the pain of owning an aging machine; an obsolete fuel pumping system that wants to pump nothing but frothy vapor into my EFI whenever the temperature rises above that of drinkable beer, and a computer/ECU that won't catch and save trouble codes when something goes wrong with it. Dealers don't have some of the special tools it needs and neither do I, BUT I LOVE THIS OLD BIKE!!! It still looks pretty modern to me, and once I get this fueling problem fixed, it will give me as much pleasure to drive as any bike I have owned...I sold it once, missed it every day for almost three years, and then I bought it back, being the second AND the fifth owner...it's a great "old" bike!

i tinkered...would rather not anymore...to tired...not enough time..would rather ride and relax

I am with you. I got tired of constantly working on my bike, yes it was fun but I like my busa as I can just get on it and go.

Back