For today, I will bring some of the island to you!

PACIFICBUSA

The Shaver Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Alright...I know it's been awhile. My apologies. I was reading through some old threads and an idea hit me.

I'm gonna let you in on a recipe that is sure to astound you. It's one of my recipes for a KICK-AZZ BBQ.

Here's what you'll need:

1 chicken
soy sauce
vinegar
1 clove garlic
1 onion
sesame seed oil
orange juice
black pepper
charcoal grill

Hokay...so the first order is get the chicken cut up. Yo ucan buy the whole chicken and cut it up, or you can buy drumsticks and thighs or whichever. Up to you.

After the chicken is cut, get a bowl or tupperware container that'll be big enough to hold the chicken and some liquid.

Put the cut chicken in.

Next, chop up that clove of garlic. not minced, but chopped. throw it in with the chicken.

cut up about 1/4 of that onion. You're looking for at strips at least 1/2" wide by about 1/2" long.

Add black pepper...about 1 and 1/2 tblsp

Next, add the soy sauce. You're probably going to add about a cup to a cup and a half.

Next is the vinegar. You can add about a 1/2 cup, but it's going to depend on your taste. Personally, I shoot for a hint of vinegar in the soy mix.

Now, you add sesame seed oil. You're gonna need about 2tblspns. Of course, this is to taste, so feel free to add more or less as you please.

Next up, orange juice. Again, add to taste. It should be about 3-4 cups, but feel free to add more or less.

Now, taste the mix. If it's too salty, add 1/4 cup water until desired level of saltiness. If the mix has too much vinegar, you can add a little more soy OR...you can add a tad of sugar. The sugar helps to cut the bite of the vinegar.

It's time to let it sit. If the marinade does not cover the all cut-up chicken, be sure to rotate the pieces sitting in the marinade. Let it sit for about 2-3hrs, rotating pieces if/as neccessary.

Now that that's all taken care of, it's time to get the grill ready. PLEASE...use a charcoal grill. It's not gonna be the same with a gas grill. Here's why:

One of the steps to prep for the BBQ is to add onions. After the charcoal is ready for grilling, take about a 1/4 of an onion and peel the layers off. Now, place some of them on the charcoal itself. You're going to get the most delicious whiff of onion in the smoke, which is VITAL to the flavoring. You can't achieve the same results with a gas grill (I've tried...trust me).

That step IS THE KEY, my friends. It is the key to the wonderful taste that your BBQ will have but no one will quite be able to put their finger on.

Now, be sure to turn the chicken at least every 3-5 minutes, pending on how much charcoal you add. Remember that it's gonna be a little easy for it to burn if you add too much charcoal and it may take too long if you add too little. There shouldn't be any burnt parts on the chicken. If you get the right amount of charcoal and spread it evenly, it should cook wonderfully.

That is all. Now, I expect a FULL report later on...both failures and successes. For the failures, I will take responsibility and help you through the mix. For the successes, well, pat yourself on the back because you did a great job and I'd like to hear your input.

Now get off here and go GRILL! :thumbsup:

paul

Sounds good to me but I have a gas grill lol. So my question is this, assuming that you are smoking the onions which gives it the taste so if I have a smoker I can put the onions in there and get close if not the same outcome. I am thinking closer rather then similar but I will forward this on to the wife and see what she says.

And a big fat thanks for making me read this while I am no where near being able to cook something right now :poke::

Sounds good to me, will give it go for thursday night's dinner.

I'll pay one back,

Place a kilo (not sure what this in pounds) of chicken pieces (breast, leg, wings etc) into a large cooking bowl (a saucepan that the chicken will fit into),
Add a packet of "french onion" soup mix (the powdered soup you add hot water to),
Add 1 x can of Coke into the mix, can also use a 600ml coke if you like.

Cook slowly (160-180 Degrees C) in the oven for 2 hrs, can be done with lid on if more sauce is required.

Have a go, you will be surprised you can also add a touch of lemon juice at the end too if prefered. :beerchug:

Last edited:
I'll give it a try Pac...in a few months. (winter).

Butt:moon: thanks for sharing an awesome summer recipe.

Rubb.

Sounds good to me but I have a gas grill lol. So my question is this, assuming that you are smoking the onions which gives it the taste so if I have a smoker I can put the onions in there and get close if not the same outcome. I am thinking closer rather then similar but I will forward this on to the wife and see what she says.

And a big fat thanks for making me read this while I am no where near being able to cook something right now :poke::

Aah...that's a big negative on the smoking the onions, chemmy. You throw the onion layers on the charcoal itself...and make sure they're spread out evenly (both the charcoal and the onion layers).

What's gonna happen is, as the onion burns, it mixes in with the smoke and gives the meat a definite flavor. Maybe you can do it on a gas grill, but the only problem is that there really is no smoke from a gas grill. ??? I guess maybe you toss the onions inside where the flames are at, but I've already tried that with no success.

Maybe you'll have better luck than me? :thumbsup:

Sounds good to me, will give it go for thursday night's dinner.

I'll pay one back,

Place a kilo (not sure what this in pounds) of chicken pieces (breast, leg, wings etc) into a large cooking bowl (a saucepan that the chicken will fit into),
Add a packet of "french onion" soup mix (the powdered soup you add hot water to),
Add 1 x can of Coke into the mix, can also use a 600ml coke if you like.

Cook slowly (160-180 Degrees C) in the oven for 2 hrs, can be done with lid on if more sauce is required.

Have a go, you will be surprised you can also add a touch of lemon juice at the end too if prefered. :beerchug:

Hmm...how interesting. Sounds yummy, zoro. :thumbsup: I'll give that a shot...maybe tonight or perhaps tomorrow.

I'll give it a try Pac...in a few months. (winter).

Butt:moon: thanks for sharing an awesome summer recipe.

Rubb.

Crud...that's right! It's winter over where you folks are at. My bad, bruvver.

Well, another variation you can do is to let the chicken soak, and then when it's done, throw it in the oven. One KICK-AZZ recipe for baked chicken, lemme tell ya.

And yes, I did try it. Just make sure that you don't bake the chicken in the marinade. Pull it out of the marinade, let it drip a lil bit, and then put it in a pan. Don't forget to put some butter, shortening or PAM on the bottom. :thumbsup:

mmmmmmmmmm chicken.:eatchicken:

RSD.

Yanno, brudda Rubba...you can also use this on just about anything you'd like to throw on the grill. Ribs, steak, lamb, etc. I haven't tried it out on fish, yet...might be an interesting mix, but more than likely not. ???

Aaand....as an added bonus, if ya give me a call, I'll let ya in on another recipe. A local dish...with PacDaddy flair. :thumbsup:

How dare you post this in the dead of winter :poke: :moon:

Sounds good though :beerchug:

whoops! My bad. Maaaayyyybbeee. :poke: ??? :laugh:

Heheh...just kidding. Well, you can always do this in the oven, too. Just like I advised me bruvver Rubb up there. :thumbsup:

Back