For those with carbon fiber exhaust cans

redliner100

Registered
considering carbon fiber bolt on cans basically for the look and maybe sound.

any particular brand have the best "look" or are they all basically the same?

also what kind of care do they need and how durable are they?

i dont think durability is an issue, unless your passenger is stepping on them with high-heels. LOL.

I had a carbon fiber pipe on my sport ATV and it held up fine, it shouldn't be an issue on a street bike. I have the Yoshi RS-3's and I love them!

since these are just bolt-ons and since your main concern is "look" why not look at the pictures of different Cf cans from different companies on their web sites.... It's a bit difficult to tell you which pipe has the look you like.

I hear ya Commuta but since there is a quite a range in price I didn't know if there are different grades or quality of carbon fiber and I'm hoping the riders here can at least advise if there are any brands to stay away from.
unfortunately there aren't any local shops where I can go down and see different brands first hand.

they will look a little different from 1 company to another. but pretty much all should hold up good. The ones i have are HMFs (the can's on H/M system) and they look as good now as they did 3 years ago.

I know some carbon companies are better than others, but from what i gather most are pretty good. I've heard more issues about how carbon parts fit, or rather don't line up right, than i have heard actual complaints about the carbon quality itself.

I had a friend that never changed the packing and the exhaust gasses dried out the canister so bad it splintered and frayed the carbon fiber. Change your packing as per the manufacture.

I have had my TS3 tri oval since 05. I love it! Mainly cause its a yoshi! Man I love that sound...this is the only good picture I have of my exhaust can
100_1265.jpg
DSC00120.jpg

i have my second set of cf. 2 brothers. i take the kids for rides and they kick them and so on when getting on the bike, and no problems.

DSCF1505.JPG

Had the HMF's hi-mounts here too-switched up after I raked one can across the concrete doin a 12'ver I scraped up one tip somethin fierce. Ran the bike around in 35-40 deg. weather two seasons, put over 16k miles on them, and they still looked pretty good when I took them off. Ask Yamahoe, he got'em after me n he liked'em too
beerchug.gif

regarding quality, most major brands seem ok IMO-HMF, Micron, 2 Bros, Akro, Hindle...etc, all do a pretty good job on their CF cans, so its really more about preference of sound and looks. Good Luck.

I had a Scorpion CF can on the ZRX (bike before the Busa) for about 6 months and it had a big burned brown spot right in the middle of the top. Showed up on the 3rd or 4th ride and never got any worse. Never figured out what was up.
dunno.gif

Back