For those that drag race with their turbo busa

sean06

Registered
Im looking into a turbo kit for my 08 and was wondering what kind of gains I will see at the track. I dont think i will be happy with the 4lbs they say you can run with the stock motor, which puts the bike at 220rwhp-230rwhp per RCC. So I would probably do the base plate, valve springs, ss valves and head studs and run 8lbs on pump gas which he says will put the bike around 260rwhp. So Im just wondering what you guys actually picked up at the track. So far I have gone 9.00 @ 155mph with a pipe and tune at 63". So what do you guys think I could run at 4 and 8lbs of boost? Just wondering if the money spent will be worth it. Id hate to put over 5g's into the bike and only gain a tenth or two.

It's worth it
you will gain more then a tenth or two but you need to learn to ride the bike again
because it's a whole different animal with a turbo

It's worth it
you will gain more then a tenth or two but you need to learn to ride the bike again

I have an 07 and couldn't get the bike to hook up for the first 1/8th. I have shortened the bike up, pulled some gear out and am going back to try it again tonight. We'll see, but so far I've gained 11mph at the stripe and it isn't tuned in quite yet.

Check back tomorrow, I am going racing tonight at the track for the first time with my 6# of boost and will compare before 146hp to now 220hp numbers. Whatever they are they will get faster after I "relearn" the turbo.

Nothing big but pics and vids are always fun. This is the old set up a few months ago. Hopefully tomorrow I have good vids of tonights run.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 07 and couldn't get the bike to hook up for the first 1/8th. I have shortened the bike up, pulled some gear out and am going back to try it again tonight. We'll see, but so far I've gained 11mph at the stripe and it isn't tuned in quite yet.

Right on, how much power are you making or think your making?

It's worth it

Yup, that is what happen to me tonight. I was 0.4 sec slower tonight compared to my fastest "non turbo" runs, but 5 mph faster at the finish line. I made only five passes and each pass was 0.3 sec faster than the run prior, so I am happy with that.

The problem I have is psychological. I have about three hours of riding time on the turbo busa thus far. I have learned that at 5500rpm the boost kicks in so tonight I was launching at 3k, 3.5k, 4k, 4.5k, 5k and every time I bogged off the line. I could not bring myself to launch above 5k. And when I got the courage to try it there was a 30 min track clean up so I called it quits for the night.

I have no doubt that I will get faster. I am still happy with the stage 1.

Thanks for the reply. And you will for sure get faster with more seat time. Id like to know how much quicker you will go once your making good clean passes. How does the bike feel at 6psi on the street? Is it a huge difference?

:beerchug:

Its two bikes in one. Below 5500k it is like a regular bike for just cruising around. Yesterday was 97F and temp needle did not hit the half way point. Very smooth throttle response that is well mannered but loud (the way I like a bike engine to be). Above 5500 rpm and now you have a new bike with lots of pull all the way to redline.

Back