For the military guys...

04Duramax

Registered
For of us in the military that ride to work on a usual basis how do you guys keep your boots clean and/or free of the dreaded shifter mark? Now working up in my Command section my boots have gotten the ol' eyeball a few times becuase of the big black shifter mark on them that won't come off even with cleaning them.

Even if your not military you can chime in I'm not biased.. LOL.

I keep a rag next to the bike with a degreaser on it and before I start the bike I would wipe off the shifter. This helped a lot because I was running into the same problem you are having now. My only other option is to wear riding boots to work, but once you get off the bike you must get back in uniform immediately.

I use a boot brush to brush it off once a week. Boot brush is actually a grill brush :laugh:

I dont get a mark too bad unless it rains then its a big black mark

there's a shifter sock you can buy at cycle gear for about a buck....neoprene...leaves no mark as long as it's clean...

if you have one nearby, Cycle Gear sells this

ryder_shiftsock_package-2piece_MD.jpg

I used to ride a bike to work, as did a lot of my staff (helps if your boss rides...:laugh:).

I was Navy, so there is no way I could wear uniform shoes (white) to work on the bike.
I used to wear civvie clothes, and change at work if I had to wear whites.

Often we would be in what are called DPCU (Cams) or Combat Coveralls (overalls), so it was no problem.

None of us would ever wear ceremonial (S2 - white) uniform on the bike - it just got too dirty too easy.

I keep the shifter very clean, and use the suede cleaning kit available at aafes on my boots. The soft wire brush in the kit removes the smoothed suede, and the rubber cleaning tool removes any residue.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was a crew chief, I just left my boots get scuffed, haha. But when I did Honor Guard, I stored a pair of boots at work to change into when I got there. You can try and protect your boots from the shifter, but that won't stop the huge bug from smearing across the top of your boot or rocks tearing the leather across the top.

I'm a aviation crew dawg. My flight boots are worn out from climbing up and down helicopters all day. When they get too blacked up i just DX for a new pair. I keep a extra pair of summer desert boots in my office for official bizness. Most riders to include my CO recognize the black mark on left foot so it's a non issue in my unit. It's only drama somedays when I have to go on main post because some non riding non combat patch wearing douche bag LT wants to be the uniform Nazi on days I'm not in the mood. My normal response as a Sr NCO to him is "Sir, these boots have more time in combat then you do in the Army"

Back