For SixPack.... TLR VS GSXR1K

GsxrBots

Motorboatin' Moonpies, Gangnam Style
Registered
Here are my two old ones. No comparison, TLR hands down..

205284_1021079101512_1242_n.jpg

205572_1021045700677_1661245999_75670_7361_n.jpg

205284_1021079101512_1242_n.jpg

205572_1021045700677_1661245999_75670_7361_n.jpg

Any other questions? NOTHING beats this sound... NOTHING..

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely Love the yellow TLR :drool:

Gorgeous azz bike!! Don't understand how an average run of the mill liter bike can compare :whistle:

Damn Bots you should made this a poll :laugh:

Truth is though not many people know about these bikes and even fewer have had the pleasure of riding 1. Suzuki made them 4 such a short amount of time in a failed attempt 2 compete with the RC51 they kinda got lost in the fold :banghead:

That was when Suzuki was on top of the sportbike world IMO. The Gsxr 750's and 1000's were murdering everything in sight on the street and track. Then you had the Busa who literally retired it's 1 and only competition (R.I.P. Blackbird XX) :laugh:

Now days you just can't seem 2 find a decent TLR..... they are either chromed and stretched out with a billion miles or they are R titled and beat 2 chit from stunting.

All this talk and pics got me wanting 1 now!!!

Thanks for the pics Bots!
You forgot this one you posted several months ago(one of the best looking I've seen)!

My friend has a black 05 gsxr1000 like the one you had(the one I said I can get for $3500), he's one of 4 friends that have/had the 05/06. I really miss riding such a quick and lightweight bike. I even considered getting another 01/02 gsxr1000 like I had.
I also like the 09/11 gsxr1000, 2 friends have them, and one with dirtbike bars, and it's by far one of the most fun bikes I've ridden in years. I just don't want to spend quite that much.
On the other hand I've always wanted a TL after riding them many years ago.
Anyone know what they weigh? Do they have any common problems?

$(KGrHqR,!nwFHgTjovi8BR96ksZ4V!~~48_20.jpg

Common problems.... They run HOT as all get out.

Mine used to turn the header pipes glowing red, looked sweet at night, LOL

Also the clutch push-rod seal would go out frequently (especially if you liked to wheelie) and oil would squirt out it once and a while. Clutches where known for going out quick too due to the torque and the slipper clutch. Heavy duty clutch springs took care of that problem in mine.

MAN I MISS THAT BIKE!

Here's some of the basic info Suzuki TL1000R - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bots is right the though... the #1 problem associated with the TLR is the same issue the RC51's had, extreme heat!! Stuck in traffic on a hot summers day it can get pretty uncomfortable. But as with problems come solutions.... there's mods 2 wire up spaal fans etc. 2 counter the issue but honestly a little sweat is worth riding a bike like that :thumbsup:

At least the frame won't break in half like the Gsxr1K. :rofl:

Loved that one. I weigh 2oz under a metric ton, and my frame never broke. :laugh:

Hey Six if your the type to buy ride and sell on the regular then I can understand why you would favor a 1k. Yes they are lighter yes they are faster but my thing is there is Always gonna be another 1k.... They don't make TLR's anymore :rulez: you get a hold of a bike like that you have a piece of history. A classic bike that will turn heads with that V-twin growl today the same way it did 15 years ago! For me that's why there's no debate between the 2. I'll take a V-twin Torque Monster any day of the week and if I feel the need 4 something light n fast I can always find another 1k on CL seeing how they are a dime a dozen :whistle:

i miss my 2003 tl1000r so much. I like it because alot of the parts were the same as gen 1 busa parts. There was a lot that was interchangeable it seemed like. Both weighed roughly the same. Both handled the same as well. Loved that tl sounds..had a set of d&d pipes on mine with headers etc....damn strong loud sound..nothing like it out there....When ya went to pull a wheelie you should have seen the people stare!!! I cant tell you how many times i got asked what the helll that thing was it sounded so mean.

I had an '02 1K too. I actually miss that one more than the much better '05 :laugh:

View attachment 272982

Same one I had too, and I like it better than 05/06 as it's more comfortable.
To me that bike was a turning point in sportbikes.
I remember the first time I saw one in person in 01.
A guy fell in behind a friend and I after a long days ride, he stayed back for 5 minutes or so and I couldn't tell what it was.
Next time I went to glance in the mirror, all I saw was a flash on my left as he passed me at 100+ on the back tire.
WTF was that?! I could tell it wasn't an R1(which I've never liked any of).
I was doing 45mph(speed limit) on a wide empty road. I dropped down to 3rd from 6th on my 94 ZX7(750 Ninja) as I was gonna run him down and see just what that was...wrong:laugh:
He vanished, never to be seen again. When we stopped, before I could ask my friend what it was, He said "That was the new Gsxr1000!!!"
I said "I'm getting one of those!" Next year, sure nuf, bought a new 02. Think I paid $9400 out the door for it.
What a wheelie machine! I was 25 and invincible. What am I talking about, I still am:laugh:
I miss those days.
I hope you feel as old as I do now Bots

Back