? for any UK members

mestona

Registered
I may be taking a trip out there in June (my first time to another country), if I do is there any way I can rent a motorcycle to ride what I understand are some beautiful country roads? Will they even acknowledge my USA driver's license? Thanks in advance.

ur American drivers license (Car or Motorcycle) is valid in the UK. just as theirs is valid here. its the same language so u do not need an international driving permit which would translate ur own countries license information and or restrcitions into a language someone could understand.

an international drivers permit (ur own countries license with proper translation) is valid for (1) year here in the US if coming from another country and utilizing ur international DL permit privileges.

Any ideas what part ? where ever you go you will find some fantastic roads , there shouldnt be a shortage of bikes to hire either .
post up where and when, some one around that area may be able recommend a shop :thumbsup:

If you have never been or driven there before, I might suggest renting a car for a day or two to get the hang of it...driving in the UK is a bit different than the US, even beyond driving on the wrong side of the road :laugh:

I assume you will be flying in to London, so I just looked on the web and there are quite a few bike rental places about.
Check them out before you fly over, as the hire prices vary quite a lot, also the deposit and excess vary a lot as well.

If you have never been or driven there before, I might suggest renting a car for a day or two to get the hang of it...driving in the UK is a bit different than the US, even beyond driving on the wrong side of the road :laugh:

I second this idea. I was stationed there for about 6 years and it is very different from driving here in the states. The motorways are similar to our interstates, but other than that it is quite different.

It is London I will be staying in. I figured sense the entire island is half the size of my home state, I should be able to get out and see a fair amount in my down time as I will be there 2 weeks. Is there any restriction to the size bike I can get my hands on? I'd love to have at least a liter bike to play with...:laugh:

As for London, the tube is great there and you can get anywhere in the city without even setting foot in a car. We would drive to one of the northern most stations (Red Bridge) park there and spend the weekend in London traveling only by tube. It is cheap too, I think it was like 5 pounds for the entire day.

As for traveling around the country, don't let the size fool you. It still takes a good deal of time to get from place to place. Unless you are on a motorway or a nice A road, very few of the B roads are higher speed roads.

You could go see Stonehenge or go to Bath as well. Bath is a beautiful city and there is a ton of history there.

Thanks for the ideas, I had completely forgotten about Stonehenge and I would love to see it. I will have to look further at some of my other options, I would love to check out Ireland a little too if it is within reason going there (not sure how much down time my 2 weeks will hold...) any other suggestions are welcome.

Couple more ideas of places that I enjoyed during my stay there.

White Cliffs of Dover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Salisbury Cathedral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tower of London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Westminster Abbey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Warwick Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Windsor Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The possibilities are endless. I would suggest the Tower of London and Windsor Castle for sure because it will be close to you and will take up an entire day to see the cool things in each of those places. At Windsor you can see the changing of the guards and take a tour of the living quarters of the royal family. At Tower of London you can see the crown jewels and the armory with all sorts of cool things in it. At Westminster there are tombs of some really famous people that ruled centuries ago. The list goes on and on.

Back