Foot control adjustments for Buell footpegs?

AJAY

Registered
Installed Buell footpegs over the weekend and took my 'test ride' this morning (in rush hour traffic!). Definitely a more comfortable riding position for this old man, but the foot controls are not right.

Brake Pedal: This is lowered all the way down to where the threaded rod is almost hitting the joint underneath, but the brake pedal is still a bitt too high. I need to really raise my foot to get above it. Reminds me of riding a Harley. The only way to lower it further would be to remove the master cylinder and cut a quarter inch off the threaded rod. Have others done this? Or have you learned to live with it?

Shift Pedal: I was able to lower this to a good "neutral" / centered position so my foot can easily go under or over the pedal. Problem is that in this position, the sidestand really interferes with my boot. That wasn't a problem when I was adjusting it wearing sneakers, but my boots must be thicker and give me less feel. I'm thinking about heating and bending my sidestand in a little bit, since the bike leans too far anyway. Have any of you had this problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Brake pedal: I cut about 1/4" off of the threaded rod. I did it right on the bike.
Shift pedal. The foot hitting the sidestand is only an issue when I wear runners. I usually where boots so I can live with it.

Brake pedal: I cut about 1/4" off of the threaded rod. I did it right on the bike.
Shift pedal. The foot hitting the sidestand is only an issue when I wear runners. I usually where boots so I can live with it.
yep +1...

unbolt the shifter and drop one spline and then adjust down until it smacks kickstand on down shift.. I got an after market shift lever from the bay that helps this issue pretty well.. (about $25)

Thanks, guys.
yep +1...

unbolt the shifter and drop one spline and then adjust down until it smacks kickstand on down shift.. I got an after market shift lever from the bay that helps this issue pretty well.. (about $25)
Would this be the shift lever you put on?

shift lever.jpg

ill be doing the peg mod coming up, do you have an ebay link for that shifter?
Just type "hayabusa shifter" into the ebay search bar and you'll get a ton of them. There's one package for matching brake and shift levers that you can probably snag for less than $50 shipped. They have some black ones too that might look good if you have a black frame.

Just type "hayabusa shifter" into the ebay search bar and you'll get a ton of them. There's one package for matching brake and shift levers that you can probably snag for less than $50 shipped. They have some black ones too that might look good if you have a black frame.

sweet, thanks!

I didn't have any issues with the brake pedal adjustment, if you got your kit from the guy here, then check thru the instructions, make sure you did the adjustment correctly. If all else fails, then cut the threaded rod.

For the shifter I had the same issue because I like my shifter low. I alleviated the problem with a simple mod of extending length of the shifter lever so I don't have to fight with the side stand. There are others who have done this too, and there are a myriad of ways of doing it. Mine is here:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/1521113-post42.html

I didn't have any issues with the brake pedal adjustment, if you got your kit from the guy here, then check thru the instructions, make sure you did the adjustment correctly. If all else fails, then cut the threaded rod.

For the shifter I had the same issue because I like my shifter low. I alleviated the problem with a simple mod of extending length of the shifter lever so I don't have to fight with the side stand. There are others who have done this too, and there are a myriad of ways of doing it. Mine is here:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/1521113-post42.html
This is great. I tried to bend my kickstand in by heating it. The bike leans so far over on the stand now that bending it in is not a problem. Appears to be better, but I haven't done a test ride with boots yet. Am thinking about bending the shift lever out a tiny bit too or buying the lever suggested by Monsieur Bogus. Might try your technique if those fail!

Back