Foot brake ?

Churchkey

Registered
Problem: foot brake lever stub is to short. I missed that sucker a few tiimes since I'm deeper in the bike on a Tobin modded seat. Tried a search for the topic & came up empty.

Is there a replacement lever from another bike/model that I can swap out that has a longer stub or do I fire up the tig & weld something on?

For those of you that are going to tell me not to use the rear brake because it will get me in trouble: Thanks in advance,  its good to know there is concern for my well being.

<!--EDIT|Churchkey
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117047715 -->

hmmm....could it be your foot positioning? You could always try reversing it...

Since you should have the balls of your feet on the pegs, perhaps you could move the lever to the rear so that you can use your heel to apply the rear. Just a thought....

I'm thinkin it may be more of a foot positioning thing. What is your foot's position on the pegs?

Not understanding what you mean by 'too short'? If you with the balls of your feet on the peg you shouldn't have any trouble reaching it. If you can reach the clutch there definitely shouldn't be a problem reaching the brake lever.

There are some aftermarket rearsets (Gilles, Protek come to mind), but I don't know if that will help you.

Could be a blessing in disguise? Many a crash has occured as a result of using the rear brake!

Your rear brake should be just below your foot when your seated in your riding position. If the brake lever is to high, or low, remove the lever and reposition it. You should have about 3/4in. free play in the lever before it applies the brake.

The lever shouldn't be any shorter unless your feet are not properly on the pegs. If the proper foot position isn't comfortable after installing the Tobin seat, you may want to get aftermarket, adjustable rearset.

beerchug.gif

Use 'em both, just learn how to use 'em first! The bike has brakes on both ends for a reason, and it isn't just for crashing. If you lowside because you used your back brake you used it incorrectly.

Use 'em both, just learn how to use 'em first! The bike has brakes on both ends for a reason, and it isn't just for crashing. If you lowside because you used your back brake you used it incorrectly.
Rear brake is a good thing, just not in all situations. Things like:

- Wheelie stopper (you may come down hard but thats better than coming down soft on your head)
- Stopping on loose gravel, other slick surfaces
- non-emergency stopping with a passenger (prevents the nose from diving so you aren't castrated at every light)
- carefully trail braking with the rear into a corner
- subtlely slowing down from 10-15 over on so it doesnt look to the cop like you just mashed the brakes.

The rear brake is your friend in many circumstances.

Since you should have the balls of your feet on the pegs, perhaps you could move the lever to the rear so that you can use your heel to apply the rear. Just a thought....
Pac...we have to talk...

the medication that quack has prescribed has got you thinkin' all <table style=filter:flipH>backwards</table> and <table style=filter:flipV>upsidedown</table>

no more heel brake talk.... please....
biggrin.gif

Pac...we have to talk...

the medication that quack has prescribed has got you thinkin' all <table style=filter:flipH>backwards</table> and <table style=filter:flipV>upsidedown</table>

no more heel brake talk....   please....    
biggrin.gif
heheh...one of my moments of lesser brilliance, I would assume.

Hmmm....sounded good in my head.
laugh.gif

Back