Flying Lessons ?

Bosshound

Donating Member
Registered
Got a Friend that want's to Teach My How To Fly :thumbsup:

Flying is on My List Of One of the Things To Do before I Die...........

Any Pilot's out there ?

He has a Single Engine Cessna SKYHAWK

i have took flying lessons, will continue later on, i think flying gives you the same thrill as riding fast on the busa. very enjoyable being up around 2000 feet checking out the world below.

flying is great, landing is a greater thrill :laugh:
if you make a perfect landing no one is around, but bounce it and everyone will be watching :whistle: :rofl:

it is a blast... the learning curve is steep but well worth it.. first solo and first solo cross country are an amazing ride :) (and get him to do spin (cross control stall) recovery with you :whistle: no longer a requirement but is a lot like a rollercoaster ride as you come over the top of the first hill :laugh: )

I think the reason it is no longer a testing requirement because recovery is pretty much "let go of the controls" but that feeling of the plane flipping up on its nose is a ball

I started studying the book and had the King video tapes. My uncle flies and I have flown the cessna a few time. It is great. Never got my license tho.

You can get the whole written question test for your computer and test yourself. Thats what I had. I had 1/2 of the 700+ questions under my belt with a 96 score

My wife learned to fly, my dad's Cessna 172, and then later a 1946 Taylorcraft (taildragger). Me, I'd reather JUMP than FLY; Boss, you need to put THAT on your bucket list too!

I started studying the book and had the King video tapes. My uncle flies and I have flown the cessna a few time. It is great. Never got my license tho.

You can get the whole written question test for your computer and test yourself. Thats what I had. I had 1/2 of the 700+ questions under my belt with a 96 score
The written is the easy part and the flying part is not bad either... my biggest hassle was the weather maps.. I did not study them very well (hey I lived in AZ, punch a hole in your license and hold it up to the sky.. if there is any cloud showing, you park it.. BLUE means FLY!!)

I flew out to Stellar air park (homes with airplane parking) and sailed through it all until the friggen weather map.. bombed it... got back in plane, flew home. :laugh: My guy goes, " I could care less about the flying skills, you made it here and so you are only going to get better at that part, however, weather map interpretation will only get worse... humbug...

Studying the weather part of the written test i kept putting off. that and the weight and balance...

BTW, tuf has his pilots license and actually owns a plane too!

What are you flying Tuf? Why am I not surprised? I've got three grass strips for you to come land on and a cold :beerchug: awaits!

Aquaman, you should be working on learning boats...
:laugh:

Aquaman, you should be working on learning boats...
:laugh:

LOL... that is what I ended up geting instead of a plane. The family was not into flying so I ended up buying a new boat. The navigating part is much simular:beerchug:

LOL... that is what I ended up geting instead of a plane. The family was not into flying so I ended up buying a new boat. The navigating part is much simular:beerchug:
both cost money just sitting there... My dad had a number of aircraft over the years but the 206 Turbo was the best workhorse.. sucker cost a ton of $$$ just sitting still every month..

A motorcycle is as close to flying as you can get without leaving the ground. :thumbsup:

Long time pilot here. Grew up with airplanes. Love them enough to own one for over a decade now, and that takes dedication! :) (and money :()

By all means go on a flight with him.

1) Getting your license from a school will cost you anywhere between $4000 and $10,000 depending on your area of the country, what kind of plane you rent, and how quick a learner you are.

2) Find out if your friend is a Certified Flight Instructor ("CFI").

3) What is your relationship with him? Does he want to give you a "taste" of flight, or is he offering to bring you all the way through to your pilot's certificate? What does he want in the way of money? Fuel? Rent? His time?

There are some people out there, typically retirees, who own planes and look for any excuse to fly. I've known some guys who have only had to pay for fuel to get their licenses, with "free" use of the plane and free instruction. That would be about as good a deal as there is. There are subtleties about what he can charge you, but you will learn that as part of your "book training."

Once you understand what the offer is, you can compare to what it would cost at a local flight school.

All in all, a BIG thumbs up to you. Go for it! :thumbsup:

Cool:thumbsup: Single Engine Private Pilot here with Complex and High Performance Endorsements

My one and only ultra-brief aircraft "piloting" experience was a C-130E, STARTING at ~30,000' somewhere over Costa Rica way back ~'64.

I was a loadmaster, but had taken and passed the USAF officers qualifying exam and the pilot and nav. tech. exams. The pilot told me to try flying the bird, giving me lots of encouragement by stating that he didn't think I could do anything wrong enough that he couldn't recover before we hit the ground.

Main thing I learned is that all the control surface moves require a "double move". To turn left, I was pretty surprised to discover that you don't simply turn the wheel to the left and hold it there until the turn is completed. Oh, nooo, the damn wing just keeps on climbing. You must crank it to the left and then return it to neutral (or nearly neutral). Same thing with a climb. Can't just hold the wheel back, gotta return to neutral or the nose just keeps on going up. Pull back, push to neutral, then at new altitude push forward, return to neutral, etc.

So here we are, ~20 Marines in the back, and the ZERO time loadmaster is flying all over the sky like a drunken bumblebee.

So the question is, do light planes react the same way?

Last edited:
No light planes do not. yes it takes a bit for the bird to respond, but not as you describe. At least it was not like that when I flew the cessna

Back