flushing with distilled water..?

shogun

Registered
Hey guys, changing the coolant soon. Once Ive flushed the old coolant from disconnecting the lower pump hose should I use distilled water and fill JUST the radiator to the inlet (below the cap) or do i have to fill the overflow tank as well? Once i've filled the rad/and or the overflow tank with distilled water I am supposed to turn it on, let it run to operating temperature then flush again correct, and oh yea, the manual says to bleed any remaining air into the system turn the bike on let it run and re-fill the overflow tank as needed but is this done with the cap on the rad or off?

Last edited:
eheh thanks. i read that one. but i still dont understand if when flushing is the both the radiator itself AND the overflow tank supposed to be filled with distilled water or just the rad? and is the bike allowed to run to operating temps when the distilled water is in there?

I've never had to do this so I'll have to bow to those who have. The search was the best I could do for you. Good luck.

Not sure if I did it right or not, but when I flushed mine the other day I left the cap off so it did not build too much pressure.

I flushed it without the reservoir filled then when I put the actual coolant in I put some in the reservoir and ran it then turned it off and leaned it a little to the right so not to spill...then leaned it to the left a little more as not to spill...did the about 3 or 4 times than capped off the radiator. Let it cool down then ran it while doing clips of new exhaust and noticed the reservior had dropped about 1-1/2" so put morein reservoir.

I just went through this process after purchasing a used Busa. I drained the coolant and ran a flush through that was formulated for aluminum engines. I removed the coolant reservoir and thoroughly cleaned and flushed it. Remounted and then flushed the radiator with distilled water. Once that was done I put in the correct amount of Suzuki premix coolant and topped off with 9 ounces of Water Wetter. Ran the bike in Daytona's Bike Week traffic and never even got to the halfway mark just slightly below . No fan mods etc. just using Factory coolant. Hope that helps. Wardie

Oh OHHHHHHHH seasoned pilot post # 300yeah..better than rookie designation. Wardie:cheerleader:

when you guys filled the rad up with the flushing fluid and turned the bike on with the rad cap off how long did u let the bike run before letting it cool down?

Im thinking i will just run the regular green stuff cuz i heard of engine ice freezing up on some people and here in Canada the temps reaaaaaaaaally drop so i need freezing protection.

Last edited:
I just went through this process after purchasing a used Busa. I drained the coolant and ran a flush through that was formulated for aluminum engines. I removed the coolant reservoir and thoroughly cleaned and flushed it. Remounted and then flushed the radiator with distilled water. Once that was done I put in the correct amount of Suzuki premix coolant and topped off with 9 ounces of Water Wetter. Ran the bike in Daytona's Bike Week traffic and never even got to the halfway mark just slightly below . No fan mods etc. just using Factory coolant. Hope that helps. Wardie
Good advice!:beerchug:

wardie, when you say that you flushed the radiator with distilled water, did u just fill the rad up to the inlet with distilled water, close the cap, and let the bike reach operating temperature, shut off and drain and repeat this until all the old fluid was flushed out? BTW watter wetter offers no freezing protection thats not a good thing for where i live.

Last edited:
distilled water and distilled white vinegar is what I used to flush (3 times)...then followed by 2 flushings with just distilled water. I was coming from Engine to Water Wetter.

I left the cap off and ran till till warm..not hot ....cause it will boil out..as I left off the cap.

so after you turned it off and let it cool to the touch you drained again and repeated times right? How did u bleed the air out of the system, every time u topped off the rad u'd swing it from side to side slowly right then top off again? I heard squeezing the big rad hoses helps with getting a lot of the air out also.

so after you turned it off and let it cool to the touch you drained again and repeated times right? How did u bleed the air out of the system, every time u topped off the rad u'd swing it from side to side slowly right then top off again? I heard squeezing the big rad hoses helps with getting a lot of the air out also.

I let it cool for a bit...but it still spewed when I released the hose to the pump....some times I get impatient,

I only bled it after I filled it up with the final coolant by slowly tilting from side to side, also pour in the final coolant slowly( I also hear it helps). I also read about squeezing the lines so I did that some also, but be careful not to squeeze to hard or you just squeeze out the coolant.

I changed my coolant two weeks ago.

Drain the coolant from the reservoir, and from the radiator.

Fill the radiator with a 50/50 solution of distilled water and coolant 1Gal.

Once the coolant settles a bit, start the bike with the radiator cap off. Let it warm to running temp, then goose the throttle a few times and rock the bike side-to-side. Each time you do you should see bubbles indicating you are flushing the air out. Continue until the bubbling stops. Install the radiator cap.

Fill the reservoir to the fill line.

Go for a 15 minute ride, keep an eye on the temp, should be fine though. Park the bike, wait until the bike is completely cooled and check the reservoir again with the bike on a flat even surface. Add coolant as needed to the fill line in the reservoir only. NOT in the radiator.

I don't remember doing anything special other than that. Just followed the steps in the manual.

Last edited:
Back