Flushing coolant necessary?

busanewb

Registered
I'm about to change the coolant in my 2015 hayabusa. It still has factory coolant with 4200 miles on it. Is it necessary to run distilled water through the system for such low mileage? My coolant is still blue and clean. I plan on replacing with factory Suzuki coolant so I don't have to worry about mixing different brands

No reason to change it at all at that age and mileage. My 06 has over 60K and I’ve changed the coolant maybe twice?

Why don't you get a coolant test done, or you could even buy a test strip and do it yourself! Then you will be able to make a judgement call on this, based on science. . .
maxresdefault.jpg

Or you can use a digital multi meter . . . . .

Or you can change the coolant, after all it is 3 years old and the recommended replacement interval for coolant is 2 years.

I plan on replacing with factory Suzuki coolant so I don't have to worry about mixing different brands

https://hayabusa.org/forum/threads/genii-coolant-system-flush-and-engine-coolant-change.168998/

I could only find premixed Suzuki coolant when I did mine. If you use premixed coolant instead of concentrated, you will NOT get the coolant concentration correct after flushing with distilled water. There will be about 10 oz of water in the system especially if you do not pull all the hoses off and empty them There is still enough left in the motor to float one or two balls less than you should. If you use premixed, plan on flushing it once with coolant after you flushed with distilled water, draining it and then filling it with more fresh coolant again. Expensive but I did it just so I could have Suzuki coolant in there.

If you don't flush now, when will you do it next? I'd do it every couple years. Changing coolant properly is a lot of work so might as well flush while you're at it.

Only plus to not flushing is the coolant concentration problem is avoided. Definitely find concentrated Suzuki coolant if you flush or consider using Kawasaki AlumaCool. It costs the same as premixed and you can adjust the strength.

Last edited:
If you are going to flush, I recommend Engine Ice. It really does make a difference. I ran it for two years and just replaced it today with fresh. Takes about a jug and a half. Motor runs noticeably cooler.

Back