Floating Brake rotors

manatrader

Donating Member
Registered
Okay I have read about full floating brake rotors and it appears this is a good mod to do since it increase the braking power and could reduce over all weight.

For you that have done this which ones did you go with and are you happey with them?

I have edited, replaced free with full.

<!--EDIT|manatrader
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124127137 -->

Which rotors are you refering to
rock.gif

....If im not wrong the busa also has floating discs!! I'm not too sure what you mean by free floating brake rotors... are you by any chance refering to the wave rotors
rock.gif

rock.gif

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the busa rotors are fixed in place they do not float or move around. Easiest way to tell is just reach down and try to move them, full floating rotors will move, fixed ones will not.

The Busa has front floating rotors. If you look they are mounted on round spools that lock them in place torsionally but allow them to move from side to side. It may be a little difficult to move them side to side by hand but they do float and that is why you don't have pulsing in the front end while braking.
smile.gif

<beware: thread jack> Speaking of brakes, I just installed some goodridge stainless lines on my '03. IMHO the stock brakes SUCK. The steel lines helped some (noted difference), but still aren't up to par.

What do people recommend for pads? (this is my next step) I've heard EBC HH pads, but they are hard on rotors, and tend to eat them up quickly. </thread jack>

The Busa has front floating rotors. If you look they are mounted on round spools that lock them in place torsionally but allow them to move from side to side. It may be a little difficult to move them side to side by hand but they do float and that is why you don't have pulsing in the front end while braking.
smile.gif
Thanks for correcting me, I was playing on a MV Agusta with full floating carbon rotors and boy they moved, this is what lead me to think ours were not.
Not much written on this either for the busa.

smile.gif
On a another subject are there better spools to put on which would help out braking?

smile.gif
On a another subject are there better spools to put on which would help out braking?
Changing sppols sounds like a bit of work, wouldn't pads be a cheaper/easier route?

<!--EDIT|masada_1
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124137014 -->

I think the Hayabusa brakes work pretty well, once they're bled. Definitely better than the brakes on my BMW R1100S. I plan to install braided lines in the hopes of getting better modulation.
As far as other alternatives, I've seen a couple of people that have put Brembo calipers on the front. If you go that route, you might want to put a new master cyliner on, too.

I think the Hayabusa brakes work pretty well, once they're bled. Definitely better than the brakes on my BMW R1100S. I plan to install braided lines in the hopes of getting better modulation.
As far as other alternatives, I've seen a couple of people that have put Brembo calipers on the front. If you go that route, you might want to put a new master cyliner on, too.
A little too rich for my blood! I'll go pads, but no deeper money wise.

I guess much like I got spoiled with the BUsa power, I got spoiled with the R6 brakes.... I'll just have to learn to deal....

I like the power, but when that deer jumps out in front of you, you'll want the best brakes made. If your unlucky and hit it, you will allways be thinking could I have spent $400 to $500 and stopped?

I spent more than $1,400 to get the extra power now it's time to get the braking power too, just trying to find out what everyone is going with, doesn't sound like to many have changed rotors, I have Galfer pads, going to do the SS lines very soon too.

Back