Flo Oil Filters - Install Update (pics)

HayaWakened

Donating Member
Registered
Gen II ('14) Install
For those with stock headers, the following may not apply.
Talking about this product:
20191027_202312.jpg

This bike has Ti Force header (4-2-1), and as you can see from the attached pics, it is a tight fit getting this oil filter in place. Generally, this header config makes any install/replace cramped, but as the FLO reusable is just a bit taller than (for instance) the KN138 I pulled off, BUYER BEWARE. I was about to give up on this product (and put the used KN back in place, for now) when I discovered that the filter unit compresses upon install, so that placing the filter over the threaded tube requires compressing the filter unit into place PRIOR to engaging the threads (because of the clearance issue with the header pipes). This is risky, IMO, as a cross thread seems possible as I'm applying pressure to compress the unit so that it fits while also trying (hoping) to engage threads properly (GULP!).
IMG_2958.JPG

IMG_2959.JPG

IMG_2960.JPG

~~ 1/4" clearance between filter unit and header.

NOTE: this bike is NOWHERE as clean as these pics might suggest - just a lucky angle

So it did compress and engage, and it spun on nicely with no effort at all. But this raises another question: as I was compressing the filter unit into place while spinning on, was I also DIS-engaging the SS filter insert?? (cuz that's how the insert is disengaged and removed for servicing - by compressing and rotating the insert counter-clockwise - probably not, as tightening the unit is a clockwise motion). Best case it's working fine, and worst case oil is flowing but not being filtered.

I do tend to panic when it comes to the care & maint of this bike.

After adding new oil, I idled the bike until the fans were triggered. No leaks, no oil light indicator, so all seems good. I'm sure after doing this a couple more times, I'll increase confidence, but considering how precious this bike is (to me) I thought I'd at least document my experience here as I'm guessing others out there may also have custom headers on bikes that require periodic oil changes.

Just to mention since its a filter thread . Suzuki OEM is good for 7000 miles , and oil change is every 3500 miles.
I have followed this with RJ , and used many different oils for testing purposes .
So oil / filter change ride 3500 miles then just oil change till the next 3500 miles . Then do oil / filter again .

Just to mention since its a filter thread . Suzuki OEM is good for 7000 miles , and oil change is every 3500 miles.
I have followed this with RJ , and used many different oils for testing purposes .
So oil / filter change ride 3500 miles then just oil change till the next 3500 miles . Then do oil / filter again .
Ive done the same with my 14 since new as well except for thr first 2 where I changed filter and oil at the same time.

Ive done the same with my 14 since new as well except for thr first 2 where I changed filter and oil at the same time.

This, I don’t get. Why (not) change the filter every time the oil is changed? Is it (that) much trouble (that) expensive?

This, I don’t get. Why (not) change the filter every time the oil is changed? Is it (that) much trouble (that) expensive?
The stock filter is a very high end unit capable of flow ,and filtering for 7000 miles .
@ 11 to 14 dollars its not a inexpensive filter.
Gen 2 filter access is not exactly quick or painless. There is a 240,xxx mile gen 2 that has been going like this when I asked him many years ago .

As Brian said partially because my fairings aren't as easily removed as a 1st gen and because I figured it'd follow what Suzuki said. Other then that no real reasoning behind it.

Suzuki recommendations for oil and filter change are a bit weird to say the least in the future I am just going to change the oil and oil filter at the same time at 10 thousand km or 6K :thumbsup:

Didn’t realize that filter access was such a problem with the Gen2s. Although I remove the right side fairing to easily get to mine, it can be done by just loosening the right amount of bolts. I also use a K&N filter for the ease of wrenching it off behind hot header pipes. Funny, the OEM Kawasaki oil filter for my Z is made in China. :laugh: BTW, Amsoil and filter every 5,000 miles.

I modified my right fairing in attempts to make for easy removal . However a switch to a aftermarket exhaust header now makes for oil cooler line removal off the engine . So Fairing removal is required to do this .

I modified my right fairing in attempts to make for easy removal . However a switch to a aftermarket exhaust header now makes for oil cooler line removal off the engine . So Fairing removal is required to do this .

Ha! EXACTLY what I was contemplating! You're rubbing off on all of us!

its a pain to always take the fairing off and why not save the 30 dollars if you can?! Its already 100 dollars almost in oil.
I do the same what bryan does. 1 filter lasts me 1 season with 2 oil changes in between.

Back