Flat tire going 100

NearDeath

Donating Member
Registered
All,

Badazzbusa, pal, and myself were riding from Denver to Boulder on a Sunday morning taking I-36... About a mile before the table mesa exit, I noticed the bike was not wanting to handle anymore and the more I drove the more the whole bike shook back and forth... I new something was drastically wrong, but at this point, my buddies were about 30 car lengths in front of me and I knew I couldn't get any speed out of her to let them know I was not going to be able to go any further and the bike was broke... We were going 100 when it went flat and I knew there was no way I could buzz up to 130-140 to catch them.

I ended up pulling on the side of the highway to take a look at her... As soon as I got off and looked down, I noticed my rear tire was completely airless... Man was I cursing up a storm that day...

Anyway, the exit was right in front of me at this point and there was a gas station within site of the exit... I decided to go ahead and ride her over to the gas station on the flat. I had been riding it for a mile flat anyway probably at this point.

When I got to the gas station, I called and left a voice mail with badazzbusa letting him know that I have a flat and not to worry about me, I will figure out how to get it home...so I thought anyway...

Badazzbusa called me back within 5 minutes. They came back looking for me and didn't see me on the ground so they figured I had not had an accident at the very least. When he called I told him what was up and I told him and his buddy to go on without me; they refused. Badazzbusa and John came back for me anyway and by the time they got there, I was trying to fix the big hole in my tire with rubber cement and that wasn't working so I had bought fix-a-flat. (I was really not wanting to have to toe this mother back to Denver.) When my buddies got there, they saw the fix-a-flat and told me don't do it, use plugs instead. (I had no idea what the hell they were talking about, I had never fixed a flat on a bike before.)

We went back into the gas station and luckily they had the plug kit. Within 5 minutes they had me back on the road and they followed me back to Denver to make sure I got back okay even though I kept telling them to go without me... (I am glad them decided to come back with me though... The bike was hopping all the way back to Denver with large bubbles all over the tire from riding on it flat, not to mention the tire was warped to the side and no longer stood up straight...

We got back to my place and they helped me remove the back tire so I wouldn't have to pay the extra charges when I got the tire replaced. (first time doing that as well.)

We ended up just hanging out at my place, getting a bite to eat, and playing with the power commander maps... Overall, I had a great time even though we didn't ride much.

Jake and John, I appreciate what you guys did for me that day and I won't forget you when you need me
smile.gif
What was supposed to be a real rotten day turned out to be a great day after all despite having to buy a new rear. (Rim was okay luckily)

I am starting to understand that riding with buddies is more then just riding. Good buddies will help you and watch out for you in a "sticky" situation.

Cloud

Yeah Cloud that's what bike bonding is all about...People become more than just riding buddies occassionally they turn into friends...  
evil.gif

<!--EDIT|STUNNAH
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090361881 -->

Now buy your ass a plug kit. Since i bought mine i have fixed at least 4 tires.... this season!!! ANd the co2 cartridges came in handy too.!! for $30 can get you to a safe location. the co2 cartridges are .50 cents each on ebay.

think that is exactly what I am going to do... there is definetly no spare on the bike and lord knows I can't afford to have it toed next time I get a flat.

That is cool that it worked out well. I ride alone so much that I have to try to prepare for emergencies before they exist.

Back