Flat Spot On Tires

GOD

Registered
What's up guys. Ok, I hope I don't sound too ignorant, but I have about 1600 miles on my hayabusa and I'm starting to get a flat spot all away around in the center on my tires. I have the stock tires it came with of course. Now, I know that this is ok and that i'm probably not doing anything wrong, my question to you is, is this normal for everyone? I live in Houston and there is not too many roads with twisties close to me so I figured since most of my riding is upright that that would be the reason. Would this happen even if I were to ride winding roads? And would weaving on the road help to even the flat spot out? I'm not concerned, just curious as to how common this is.......I'm guessing the softer the tire, the worse it would be......Oh, and how does the stock tires compare to others? Are they decent tires?

You pretty much hit it on the head alotta upright riding will do that not to mention frequet burst of acceleration will eat your tires down a bit faster anyways as for the stock ones they didn't last me long granted i pulled hair brained moves and roasted them i don't do that now but i run mentzler Me 4's there a sport touring tire and hold rather well and have good center tire life if thats where you spend most of your time as i do out in the midwest

You're correct, straight roads are the cause of this problem. Find some twisties.If the tyres get too flat the handling will be affected.

Turn that beeyotch and LEAN it...
wink.gif

And would weaving on the road help to even the flat spot out?
Serious weaving and a lot of it could help round out your tire, but its not really practical. You would've to do miles of weaving.

My first stock tire lasted about 3,000miles before it went bald on the left side. The center had plenty tread left. But here in SoCal, I ride canyons not freeways. Right, left, right, left, right, etc.....

This is called the "Florida flat" - 11 turns in 318 miles. To cure this you must make frequent trips to twistyland.

This is called the "Florida flat" - 11 turns in 318 miles. To cure this you must make frequent trips to twistyland.
Hey man Welcome to the Board... I was just in TitusVille Yesterday.

Over here N. of Tampa there are some decent hills and twisties through the groves and such, also (Just in case you didn't know) Word is that Ocala Natl has some good roads. FWIW...

Welcome...

also make sure you air pressure is correct this can help abit
This is the way to correct the problem. You should be running a little higher tire pressure if your just touring. It will allow the tire to run cooler and make a smaller tire patch on the road. This will increase tire life and the flat spot will be smaller and take longer before it starts to affect handling.

Have fun and be safe.

Marc

Back