Flat battery?

newman

Registered
Went to go for a ride yesterday turned on the ignition, nothing happened.
Looked at my battery tender it was showing 0 volts.

Put the battery on a charger for a couple of hours hooked the battery tender up again and it seems to be charging now?

I went out on the bike a few weeks ago with my son, when I got home put in on the battery tender and it was working then.

I've got a alarm and a lead going to the tender and a lead to connect my tyre inflator so I don't have to keep taking the seat off to pump up the tyres.
But if there is any drain on the battery the tender should take care of it.

Battery was connected tightly to the leads.

I'm not technically so can anyone give me some pointers on what has happened.
Thanks.

The battery tender is a low-amp TENDER, so if there is a drain higher than say 5 amps, the tender would be overwhelmed, and the result would be a flat battery. Try removing any drains on the battery, maybe the alarm pulls too much? I'd hate to advise you to remove the alarm, but perhaps a low amp charger or high amp tender?
best of luck!

-D

with the alarm the tender wont charge with it on,turn the alarm off and it will charge ok...i had same problem when i tryed to leave alarm on and use tender...but there can be no draw on the battery or battery tender wont work..

Newman, you're also dealing with a six year old battery, with alarm and compressor drain. Take it to a parts place fully charged and get it load tested. It might just be time for a battery.

You might want to buy a 110 VAC to 12 VDC power supply for that compressor. I believe the guys with alarm systems typically use the tender to keep the battery up. I don't believe these systems draw much current unless in alarm or there's a problem.

WTH, I check my tires ...... ah never, well before long trips or going to the mountains. Of course I use to go through a set of tires every four months or so. Disconnect the compressor. Check your tires once a month and add air as needed, and if you need more than a pound or two every 30 days you better start looking for a leak brother, leaky valve stem, broken bead, nail, something :laugh:

If your battery is very old and got drained totally flat it will be time for a new one. Complete discharge is hard on SLA batteries.

Why it went dead? maybe something was left on?, maybe the battery tender died? A tender will not charge enough to keep the battery up, if for example, the alarm was going off continuously.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Checked the bike yesterday and it all seemed ok, so I went out for a ride.
Going to check it again today.

Had a problem before when the battery went flat after I'd not ridden through the winter.
The breakdown guy said it was my alarm draining the battery so thats why I got the tender.

This is a new battery only a year or two old.

I'll look into getting a power supply for the Compressor.

any parasitic draw will kill a battery in time. normally when a battery drops below 8v it would cause a cell problem. everything electrical installed on my bike has 1 form to kill the draw when i dont need it. ive never been big on the alarms bc it has no purpose when u cut it off but when it is always on and just sitting for days, it will kill battery

Back