Fixing Crash Damage

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I was going to post these when I was done but thought it might be cool to post it as I work. I am no expert on this stuff so if anyone sees me doing something stupid let me know!

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Slide5.jpg

Slide6.jpg

Slide7.jpg

Slide8.jpg

Slide9.jpg

Nice work. Kind of a bummer you have to do it but it looks like your taking the time to do it right.
Can't wait to see it all finished.

Damn Willie!!! You wanna open up a prep shop for us?! That's an awesome write up! And you would die if you saw where all of the bolts/parts/pieces go when I tear Caesar apart :rofl: Now where's that last part?! Ohhhhh, in my pocket, and some are on the floor, there may be some in the toolbox, the one on the seat... :rofl:

I should learn to do better...you're making me feel bad now :p

Can't wait to see her all fixed up again... :thumbsup:

Great job with the pics and all! I'll come visit you when I dump mine. Not if, but when.. :beerchug:

Excellent review or your work in progress.

I have a few comments though.

BOTH mirrors were destroyed form a low speed crash to the right side ???

Also if it was a low speed crash, it seems that the frame sliders didn't do very much to eliminate damage.
Wouldn't effective slides have to stick out at least 6-8 inches to be effective?

I thought I read some where that the Busa could lean over about 50 degrees in a corner.
Shouldn't frame sliders not allow the bike to lean, say more then 55 degrees at any given time
either standing still or going around a corner?

Maybe we need self adjusting training wheels that won't let the bike tip over :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Keep us posted on your progress.
Just wish that you didn't HAVE to do this.

Excellent review or your work in progress.

I have a few comments though.

BOTH mirrors were destroyed form a low speed crash to the right side ??? I think I kicked the left side mirror with my foot, right was under bike as it fell

Also if it was a low speed crash, it seems that the frame sliders didn't do very much to eliminate damage.
Wouldn't effective slides have to stick out at least 6-8 inches to be effective? I was in a parking lot so the tip over was at less than 5 mph. Was on an incline so the bike slide forward and down. Frame sliders did work and I have tested them before. Without them I would be on my 3rd set of fairings! Besides, I have about 25 witnesses to the crash so I'm pretty sure of the facts :laugh:

I thought I read some where that the Busa could lean over about 50 degrees in a corner.
Shouldn't frame sliders not allow the bike to lean, say more then 55 degrees at any given time
either standing still or going around a corner? I made it to 90 degrees of lean.......

Maybe we need self adjusting training wheels that won't let the bike tip over :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't know about WE but I could use some!

Keep us posted on your progress.
Just wish that you didn't HAVE to do this.

Will keep you all posted.

I think the frame sliders did just what they were designed to do... Protect the Frame... and its just a added bonus on minimizing plastic damage...

Higher speeds the plastic would have prolly been alot worse off but if the sliders held up, they would do their primary job of protecting the FRAME....

Will keep you all posted.

And to all Willie posted in reply, I'd like to add that where he dropped the bike, the ground wasn't flat. The Busa actually fell on it's right side and ended up with the wheels slightly higher than the body of the bike. Had this been a tipover on flat pavement, he *may* have had less damage due to having frame sliders, but the Busa "tipped" over on the frame sliders (I believe) allowing the upper parts to hit pavement...

Plenty of witnesses, right Willie? :p

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Hope to see her all fixed up in person soon.

Awesome thread btw. This should end up in the how to section.

Back