Fixed a rattling sound coming from my windscreen

mikeyusf

Registered
I bought my 2002 SE brand new, and when I would hit about 4000rpms, I would hear a rattling noise coming from behind my instrument cluster. I figured out what the noise was by starting up my motorcycle on the kick stand, reving the engine, and pushing my finger on certain sections of the bike to see if it stopped. This is how I figured out it was the windscreen.

I removed the windscreen, and applied some small 1/8" strips of duct tape on the flashing part of the windscreen. (this is the part of the windscreen that is hidden). It cured the problem right up, and since the duct tape strips are hidden, you dont even notice it.

I just wanted to post a fix to a problem that some people might be having with their busa. If you hear rattling at about 4000 RPM and above, check your windscreen

Mike

Do you have the stock windscreen or something else? I've only heard of that problem with Zero-gravity screens and that's because they're made a little thinner than stock.

I have the stock windscreen. It was rattling like crazy, it drove me nuts. I couldnt figure out what is was until I put the bike on the stand, fired up the engine, and while reving it poked around. I realized there is a 2 to 3 mm gap between the windshield and the fairing, and under vibration, it causes alot of rattling noise. The small strips of ducts tape definitely helped out, and you wouldnt never know there were there because they are covered up.

Yep, the stock windshield rattled, I bet many people have this problem, hope this helps

Mike

Mike........about an hour before I talked to you I put some duct tape on mine and started it up........no rattle. Good tip! I forgot to tell you.

lol sw33t! yea dood that rattling was seriously annoying. Glad it worked, I like your tailsection! it looks great. Glad I could help d00d!

I put on the Powerbronze windscreen and about a week ago I took off the windscreen and put some electrical tape and fixed the rattle on the very bottom(or tab). I could not stand that sound...when the rpms started to climb I would hit the top of the windscreen to make it stop! All is better.

Mike: You need to get with Bob and pick up his last Power Bronze Double Bubble. You'll love it!
wink.gif

I haven't seen a close up of the Power Bronze Double Bubble........I have the pryamid plastic DB and I've heard it's essentially the same thing........anyone have a pic. And is it as thick as the pryamid? That pryamid is really close to stock thickness. Very sturdy.

Nice Blas.........tell me how to do the radar detector mod........straight power with a switch to the battery or what?

nice pics blas. Is that windscreen higher than the zero gravity souble bubble? It looks like it is. I found the website at http://www.powerbronze.com/, and I see three models. Is your windscreen the "airflow" model? It looks like it provides alot of wind protection, but it doesnt have the dorly look of the Touring windscreen from ZG. Let me know d00d!

Mike

It is the Powerbronze airflow dark for $69 at Kneedraggers.
The radar detector is a Bell model 946. It has 2 AA battery operation and I ran the ear piece wire under the tank to the front of my seat. I have a quick connect from my helmet speaker with about 2 feet of wire that connects to the wire on the front part of my seat. Very easy and works great. The detector is velcroed on to the tripple tree and points through the windscreen. I can hear it beep when I am at high speeds and it pulls off easy when I park the bike. I would feel very vulnerable without it!!! Worth every penny($150).

Something to think about......my wife "the cop" says it won't work anyways.........she just doesn't want me spending money on the Busa. lol.

Back