Fix your fork seals for free!!!

Rothman

"Professional Lurker"
Registered
So I was reading a thread a while back about fork seals and someone mentioned this....
Seal Mate - The Only Tool To Fix Leaking Fork Seals

I was intrigued.

Well, today a friend of mine bought some replacement forks for his DRZ and one of the seals was leaking. I took a water bottle and cut it with some scissors into the shape of the above linked fork sealmate. I removed his dust seal and ran the impromtu fork seal tool around the inside of the seal twice and removed the tool. I pumped the fork a few times and wiped the oil off. Pumped them a second time and this time there was far less oil. Once again I wiped it clean. Pumped it for a third time and it was completely sealed. This absoluetly worked. I couldn't believe it. A tool that took about 30 seconds to make from a piece of trash saved tons of time and money. Even if does'nt work everytime (which it may/or may not) it's definitely worth trying. I'm still blown away at how effective it was, it could have saved me a lot of headaches in the past.

highly interesting! i wonder how this would work with the old age "i was wheeling and dropped the bike to hard"....i wonder if this would reseal it good enough

His forks are USD motard forks that he purchased from a guy who only rode it on the street. Not sure what caused them to leak, I'm assuming a hard wheelie landing, but this method sure fixed it. For about 3 minutes time and no cash spent, it's worth trying.

It works as long as the seals aren't damaged or the fork tubes aren't dinged up. My seals were leaking when I came back from the Gap in July. The SealMate fixed me right up. It was only a couple bucks at the local stealer, so I just picked one up while I was there.

As long as you aren't punishing the front end, a lot of leaks are just from dirt and bugs getting pulled into the seal through normal travel. The SealMate dislodges this stuff and lets the seal do its job again.

.........As long as you aren't punishing the front end, a lot of leaks are just from dirt and bugs getting pulled into the seal through normal travel. The SealMate dislodges this stuff and lets the seal do its job again.
Agreed. Folks have been using 35mm or X-ray film for ages to accomplish the same task.:2cents:

I used sealmate and it worked great. The only problem I had was sliding the tool around the forks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Back