Five Seven

Never heard of a .57, is that a rifle caliber? The latest I have heard of is the barrett .416.

5.7x28 was designed as a caliber that could be used in a pdw or sub machine gun as well as a pistol.
It is an excellent military round but not really good for self defense. The ammo available for it now IS NOT the round you would want. Initially when it came out there were black tip AP rounds available. It was soon discovered these rounds would penetrate body armor at distances out to 200yds. The us govt politely asked the manufacturers not to import any more of it. Hence these rounds if found will command a high premium.
The rounds available now to civilians will simply pass right thru most targets transferring almost zero energy into them. For self defense nothing works better than a nice sized chunk of copper covered lead.
It was hoped than troops could carry the Fn P90 pdw and the Five Seven so one caliber could fuel both guns but they have since moved onto other things. It's an extremely accurate round but I wouldn't carry it. Not to mention the guns themselves are pretty large.

Lots of controversy surrounds the gun and caliber:
FN 5.7×28mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is the gun used in the Ft Hood shooting.

I think your first video made my point. .45 knocked the frozen jug down and ripped it open. The 5.7 barely moved it. Imagine the jug an attacker running at you or approaching you. Would you want to stop them and knock them back or just plug a nice little hole in them?

I think your first video made my point. .45 knocked the frozen jug down and ripped it open. The 5.7 barely moved it. Imagine the jug an attacker running at you or approaching you. Would you want to stop them and knock them back or just plug a nice little hole in them?

I did a carry course Saturday and the folks there thought the Five Seven was the hottest hand gun around. 20 Rounds in the mag, it is small, very little recoil.
I reload, so no problem to push 2,100 fps. They sell for close to $1,000 and apparently this is the carry now for the secret service.
Have not decided yet, but will go look at one and research a bit more.

You'll find the black tip ammo at gun shows. There will be no discussion of its capabilities. You and the seller will both know what it is and without question if you want it you will pay for it.

Yes it is nice to have that much ammo in a mag but a Beretta 92 with MecGar mags will hold 18.
It is an extremely flat shooting round. You will have no problem hitting a silhouette at 100yds with it.
It's LOUD! Nothing wrong with it. It's just a big gun. Made more for something like low carry on outside of leg or a large outside waist band holster. May be difficult to conceal.

You want knock down power, get a .50 smith&wesson, I have mine in the 4 inch barrel, we will just say its insanely fun to shoot.:laugh:

They make holsters for them to, cc to the fullest :rofl:

You want knock down power, get a .50 smith&wesson, I have mine in the 4 inch barrel, we will just say its insanely fun to shoot.:laugh:

They make holsters for them to, cc to the fullest :rofl:

LOL, I have looked at those, fun. Do you actually cc yours?

I have one time, it's so big and heavy it was down right dumb, but I cc a little .380 Taurus and leave the big guy in the truck.

Waiting for the car jack moment," that's not a gun, this is a GUN" :laugh:

5.7x28 was designed as a caliber that could be used in a pdw or sub machine gun as well as a pistol.
It is an excellent military round but not really good for self defense. The ammo available for it now IS NOT the round you would want. Initially when it came out there were black tip AP rounds available. It was soon discovered these rounds would penetrate body armor at distances out to 200yds. The us govt politely asked the manufacturers not to import any more of it. Hence these rounds if found will command a high premium.
The rounds available now to civilians will simply pass right thru most targets transferring almost zero energy into them. For self defense nothing works better than a nice sized chunk of copper covered lead.
It was hoped than troops could carry the Fn P90 pdw and the Five Seven so one caliber could fuel both guns but they have since moved onto other things. It's an extremely accurate round but I wouldn't carry it. Not to mention the guns themselves are pretty large.

Lots of controversy surrounds the gun and caliber:
FN 5.7×28mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is the gun used in the Ft Hood shooting.

I think I saw one in a gun shop about ten years ago and they were stating it would penetrate body armor. Haven't seen one since.

While it might be a nice discussion piece, heck no. Ammo too 'special' and too expensive to spend enough time to get accurate with it. I'd rather stick with something that finding ammo for at a reasonable price is not going to be difficult.

my 92 fs carries 18 in the mag, 1200 fps with a nasty 127 gr holo is going to do a hell of a lot more damage than that tiny little .23 at 2000 fps. honestly tho, for home defense, i'm starting with the 12 ga.

the m57 that i have seems to have the same type of problem...but the ammo is cheap and fun to shoot...

I've looked at them a bit lately. Figured I would just get one to add to the safe but really wasn't that impressed when I looked at it. I didn't really like the feel and most local shops want $1,200+ for them (online for $900). Sounds like a fun gun to add to the collect but I would NOT cc it at all. For the price, I'd just grab another 1911.

Just depends what you plan to use it for?

Back