fitting 180/55 tyres?

Stock tires are 190/50, FYI

And a lot of people run 180/55s. I do.
There's a major difference in turn-in but you sacrifice traction for acceleration.
I feel like I have more acceleration while leaned but not as much straight up.

I ran 180/55s for more than a year. No issues at all. They are much cheaper also.

If you really want more flickability or grip on the sides of the tires and don't mind the price, go 190/55.

I run 'em... I love 'em.... don't think I'm going back. they accelerate the same to me - but maybe I'm not REALLY paying attention. plus I run 34-36 psi for mor contact patch so maybe it equals out

The only advantage to a 180 other than price is tip in. It does make your big busa tip in quicker and easier but there is a sacrifice (Traction). A 180 will spin up slightly faster than a larger tire as well. Unless you are racing, it really doesn't make much difference which tire you run? All will work just fine on the street. The 190/55 is a taller tire so it gears your bike taller as well as raising the rear a tad which makes it tip in a bit better as well. The one thing you give up with a 180 is drive out of a corner. The larger tire gives more traction for drive out of a corner. I see some racers running 200 series tires. They say they prefer the added traction over quick tip in? There are no free rides. If you gain in one area you must give up something in another area. Just pick and choose what you are willing to give up in order to gain something you want?

I'd rather the tire spin up when I'm straight up and down rather than when I'm leaned over. Call it safety, peace of mind, I perfer the larger contact patch on the side than down the center. Plus the other advantages of the 190/55.

What would be the best overall size for city / suburbs riding. I'm interested in something that gives me stop light to stop light traction but also gives me traction in the back country road turns so I'm not eating some tree.
Right now I'm running Metzeler sportec M-1 ( front 120/70 zr 17 &  rear 200/50 zr 17)and to me they seem to give me what I want. But I haven't taken my bike past 45 degrees or close to knee dragging yet but looking to do so in April on the dragon. I need to know from someone who does know if I need to down size my tires or not. I'm looking to get a new set of tires in March. Any suggestion, comments and help would be greatly appreciated.
biggrin.gif

Lamb  swear that 180s work better on the busa  for canyons .
agile and flickable  .

Tho , u get a little skinnish look from the rear if you are running an undertail

if u are just on the streets and not to worried about flicking the bike left to right within seconds, stick to the

190/50 michelin pilot powers.
I think you will like them .

also buy 2 tires instead of just one a piece.
Some board sponsor have great deals on powers .

I m getting the power 2ct For my next set . I ll give u guys a feedback on them .

(Charlesbusa @ Dec. 05 2006,09:30) I'd rather the tire spin up when I'm straight up and down rather than when I'm leaned over.  Call it safety, peace of mind, I perfer the larger contact patch on the side than down the center.  Plus the other advantages of the 190/55.
AMEN.

Back