fishing question

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
I suck at fishing.

Planning on taking the boys fishing this weekend.

Going to an area that has large mouth bass, small mouth bass and spotted bass.

Can anyone give me advice on what kind of bait to use and any other advice.

My past preferred method of fishing was just throwing some explosives in the water.. while affective and it produced the desired result of proviiding food, it seems to be frowned upon and the wife doesnt like me playing with my explosives when the boys are around...

Any advice?

I think you use lures and not live bait.Although,you prolly could use some type of live bait. I am no expert at all t/f

Have patience. As a child I hated "waiting" and the fish wouldn't jump in the boat. Looking back it was good quality time for me and pops.

Live bait always worked for us.....good ole nightcrawlers.

Crickets...and remember...the hook goes through their butts first and out their heads whichever bait you use.

ices_rofl.gif

(Shanling @ Sep. 18 2006,10:15) Crickets...and remember...the hook goes through their butts first and out their heads whichever bait you use.

ices_rofl.gif
Through theirr butts and out their heads?

I know when I used to shark fish I would use large hooks on mackral and go in one eye out the other..

shark fishing is the only thing I used to be sort of decent at. Used to like the taste of shark also...

Ron,if you want the big ones,use a reel and rod with a black or purple plastic worm.
wink.gif

Or............ a couple ounces of C4 with a blasting cap works good too!
super.gif

(thrasherfox @ Sep. 18 2006,13:20)
(Shanling @ Sep. 18 2006,10:15) Crickets...and remember...the hook goes through their butts first and out their heads whichever bait you use.

ices_rofl.gif
Through theirr butts and out their heads?

I know when I used to shark fish I would use large hooks on mackral and go in one eye out the other..

shark fishing is the only thing I used to be sort of decent at. Used to like the taste of shark also...
You are not going to be using large hooks. Remember, the fish has got to be able to get the hook in it's mouth to be caught. And, if you can put a hook in a cricket's eye and out the other, you should have been a surgeon. Plus, all you will have on the hook would be the head as it seperates easy from the body. LOL Normally with crickets, I bring the point of the hook in through their butt and not quite poking out of their heads. It helps to hide the hook.

(nitrousjunkie @ Sep. 18 2006,10:24) Ron,if you want the big ones,use a reel and rod with a black or purple plastic worm.
wink.gif
+1 on that,
me and the boy went to a pond near the house and pulled two large mouths in, first fish the boy ever cought, he is 7 years old, and was just thrilled...

BRYCEBASS.jpg

(Style @ Sep. 18 2006,13:30) Sounds like you guys are master baiters.  
laugh.gif
YOU BEAT ME!!!

To it... you beat me TO it... sorry, that was kinda delayed.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

A lot depends on where you're going to be fishing. To put it simply, get a variety of rubber worms and you should be set. You can also ask the local bait & tackle store what they suggest.

(VaBusa @ Sep. 18 2006,15:44) You're always a bit delayed Ben...  
all_coholic.gif
Oh yeah?! Well, you can "go fish" if you know what I mean... and by that, I'm referring to that post above that I was delayed answering...

Now back to Ron's post about Master Baiting...

Depending on how old your son is, sometimes it is best to use live bait with a bobber. The bobber makes it easier for the kids to know when they have a bite, and alot less time is spent casting, getting hung up, loosing expensive lures etc. Many different fish will hit on a common minnow, Hook the minnow through the eyes or through the back under the top fin. Start with the bobber about 24 in. above the bait and try different depths untill you find where the fish are. Good on you for taking the kids fishing. Some of the best memories I have of my mother who passed away 30 years ago was fishing with her. She loved to fish and always would take me with her. Good luck, and don't be surprised if the kids catch fish and you don't! LOL

When I was a kid, we used to have phenomal results with these lures

Get a couple or five different colors and one of 'em will likely work well.

I prefer using lures because casting and reeling them in over and over makes you feel like you're actually doing something besides drowning worms all day! The downside is, you keep having to clean the hooks of moss and crap that gets dragged out with the lure every time you reel it in.

We used to do well fishing off the shore near deadfalls and just outside reedy patches.

I haven't fished in decades but it seems like it might be a good pasttime.

--Wag--

I have caught more fish on a Green frog flatfish trolled really slow behind my old Livingston Row boat than any other combo. Gold ones seem to work well in sunny conditions too. Trout, Bass, it never seemed to matter. I cant sit still and fish though, so rowing gives me something to do and lets you cover a lot of ground.

Like GSXcite said, depends upon how old your boys are. Live bait (minnows) always gets lots of action. Rubber worm fishing works well on largemouth bass, but it can take a little time getting the feel for it.

It's a great activity.

Good luck. (teach your kid's to spit on the bait for good luck)

Back