First Turbo Bike

Bugslayer, you mentioned that you'll need dyno time, engine/tranny work, tuning, etc to get everything working properly. Your tone seems negative? Dyno time and tuning is pretty much imperative for any sort of engine mod. If we install something as basic as a slip-on pipe we still dyno just to check AFR and power gains (or losses).
Installing a turbo system isn't like swapping a windscreen or grips, which is exactly the point of our article—you have to be committed and understand what you're getting into right from the get go; no shortcuts and no cheapskating for a happy end result (or so we hope!).

I understood that fitting a turbo system requires a lot of work to fabricate parts, build the engine and install all of the components and tune it before I started the project. I'm not sure however, that everyone does and I think your article will educate a lot of people. I don't think its a negative and I'm betting the result will be worth all of the work.

I've had NA race bikes built before and I've built my own and know what a living project they are. I made sure I had all the cash and the time needed for the project before I started and have not skimped on anything. As with many such projects, its grown along the way as the decision to upgrade one part required a modification to another etc, etc. So far it's within the cash budget Id hoped for. We do however, have a lot more time in the project than I had anticipated and still don't have an answer to the smoking issue. I'm hoping the oil pump from BigCC will fix this.

Like Richard, I regret that some of the exchanges in this thread have hijacked it from a more interesting subject and will provide Richard with the photographs he needs to see off-line.

Anyone who loves things mechanical will enjoy your article if it explains what it takes to build one of these bikes, but I'm also looking forward to your ride impressions. I'm guessing there are significant differences compared with an NA bike but I haven't actually ridden one yet. I've seen a few articles about what they're like to ride, but most of them don't get past "wow" and "awesome" and I think there has got to be more to it than that.

I've had great support from board members on this project and when we eventually get mine running right, I will post something and hopefully make a small contribution to the collective knowlage. I'd love to know when you plan to publish though, or is this a secret?

After seeing this thread I picked up the mag which is the Miki Black aka Feb issue. It's the start of a new brew. As already mentioned in the mag it's a new flavor. :thumbsup::beerchug:

I understood that fitting a turbo system requires a lot of work to fabricate parts, build the engine and install all of the components and tune it before I started the project.

LOL if you want to know about a lot of work. You could be like me and buy the SRP kit. That was a testimate to a lot of work. Richards kit would of been money well spent for me. I went without my bike for a 45 days due to the suckiness of that kit. But I eventually got 99% of the bugs worked out and she is finally road worthy.

P.S. Richard, your welds are beautiful. :laugh:

Nice To see a magazine doing a bike NOT all for show!!

You guys are doing the red 05 from Argo cycles right??

Just read that the other day..I just built My first turbo Bike not to long ago and can say its alot of fun!!!!!

Ps.RCC stuff is top notch.,.

LOL if you want to know about a lot of work. You could be like me and buy the SRP kit. That was a testimate to a lot of work. Richards kit would of been money well spent for me. I went without my bike for a 45 days due to the suckiness of that kit. But I eventually got 99% of the bugs worked out and she is finally road worthy.

P.S. Richard, your welds are beautiful. :laugh:

Congratulations on getting your bike on the road. One of the problems I always have to watch out for when building a bike is "project creep". Its so easy to add just one more thing, and on and on it goes. It will be interesting to see how the magazine project deals with this.

Need pics of the build!!!! :)

Here are some:

turbo1.jpg

turbo2.jpg

turbo3.jpg

I'm also having a stage-2 built using an T28 as part of a kit built by RCC. This was inspired by the Velocity stage-2 but this was shortly before they stopped doing business and we decided to go with RCC as a more secure option.

My thinking in having the bike built seems to have been very similar to yours. A usable turbo street bike with something extra and capable of being developed for competition (in my case LSR mile). The engine and transmission are built to a very high standard by Fields Performance but currently all of the cycle parts on this low milage 06 LE are standard. We took a different approach to engine management than you by using an AMS 1000 boost controller and ECU re-program. We also fitted an RCC Ultra Plenum and liquid-to-air charge cooler. This was done in part to add something during extended full throttle mile runs but also to give the bike an extra margin of safety against detonation on the road in high summer temperatures.

This has been anything but a "bolt-on" upgrade with modifications being necessary to get almost all of the parts of the "kit" to fit and I think your readers are going to enjoy the article and learn a lot from it. At the moment we are awaiting the delivery of an oil scavenging upgrade from BigCC Racing in the UK which will pump the oil back from the turbo to the sump and hopefully cure a problem of smoking from the exhaust. This should be done this month and then it goes to the dyno for tuning.

Its going to be very interested to compare the results of our two different approaches to the same goal. Mine using tried and tested engine management solution's and yours using a more modern approach which mirrors the MotoGP derived control systems we see on modern super bikes.

I've never done a mile race and neither by the sound of it have you....fancy trying them out?:mwink:

Hopefully you are not from Chicago , and your bike is not in a crest wood shop called BPRO, I had my engine build done there, and dealing with the salesmen "billy p" was the single worst experience I have ever had with any type of service .
The mechanics there are very good, but Billy is a crook , he is the biggest lier/ bull****ter, POS I have ever dealt with, he makes up **** every time you talk to him, claims he is a vendor of ,any company's (yet try's to mark you up 100%)
Does unauthorized work, that the engine didn't need, then charges you ( I feel sorry for the mechanics that have to
My bike is now back at Win Racing( where I should have brought it in the 1st place as i found out win racing does all the tuning for BPRO) to install my new Gt30r dbb custom turbo, I bought from Jason at velocity ( kit should be here soon) along with all the tuning, upgraded the entire fuel system through win, and will be using an ams 1000

Point of this post is that there are some good shops out there, then there are shops, that are run by broken down cheap car salesmen( unfortunately I ran into the worst) , who will tell you anything to rip you off .

If you feel froggy, you could do an article on my bike when I'm done. Just follow the "My Busa Overhaul" thread! :thumbsup:

Back