First Turbo Bike

Stage 2 is the way to go. You can make big power with race gas, and turn it down for pump gas on the street. It's the best of both worlds. But you should definitely use ecu reflash, you just can't beat it for a street bike. And as far reliability, all depends on tune.

On another note, it's sweet your doing an article on performance. The number one reason I don't read any of the sport bike mags. I'm just sick of the crazy paint jobs, 10ft long single sided swing arms, huge tires, all chrome, and common, tv's? The car tuner mags seen to have a good mix of performance and Bling stuff, but the bike mags seem to be all show. So thank you! I will buy this issue for sure.

Last, Jason is good people and took on a huge task by taking over velocity. But he's been doing a great job, and I'm glad to hear his work will be published in a magazine. Cant wait to see it!

just out of curiosity, what is your position at SSB, that magazine is my buddy with the zx14 turbo bible, and what you guys say is law to him, i told him about this thread and he was surprised, and asked what you do at SSB

I'm also having a stage-2 built using an T28 as part of a kit built by RCC. This was inspired by the Velocity stage-2 but this was shortly before they stopped doing business and we decided to go with RCC as a more secure option.

My thinking in having the bike built seems to have been very similar to yours. A usable turbo street bike with something extra and capable of being developed for competition (in my case LSR mile). The engine and transmission are built to a very high standard by Fields Performance but currently all of the cycle parts on this low milage 06 LE are standard. We took a different approach to engine management than you by using an AMS 1000 boost controller and ECU re-program. We also fitted an RCC Ultra Plenum and liquid-to-air charge cooler. This was done in part to add something during extended full throttle mile runs but also to give the bike an extra margin of safety against detonation on the road in high summer temperatures.

This has been anything but a "bolt-on" upgrade with modifications being necessary to get almost all of the parts of the "kit" to fit and I think your readers are going to enjoy the article and learn a lot from it. At the moment we are awaiting the delivery of an oil scavenging upgrade from BigCC Racing in the UK which will pump the oil back from the turbo to the sump and hopefully cure a problem of smoking from the exhaust. This should be done this month and then it goes to the dyno for tuning.

Its going to be very interested to compare the results of our two different approaches to the same goal. Mine using tried and tested engine management solution's and yours using a more modern approach which mirrors the MotoGP derived control systems we see on modern super bikes.

I've never done a mile race and neither by the sound of it have you....fancy trying them out?:mwink:

This has been anything but a "bolt-on" upgrade with modifications being necessary to get almost all of the parts of the "kit" to fit and I think your readers are going to enjoy the article and learn a lot from it. :mwink:

Funny thing about this comment here, the kit you received was fitted to a bike before it was shipped, so it makes me wonder why modifications are being performed. Individual customers have done these installs without problem, so for you to have your kit installed at a shop, and they are telling you that it is necessary to modify almost all the parts to get them to fit, would suggest to me, you are at the wrong shop.

Richard

Funny thing about this comment here, the kit you received was fitted to a bike before it was shipped, so it makes me wonder why modifications are being performed. Individual customers have done these installs without problem, so for you to have your kit installed at a shop, and they are telling you that it is necessary to modify almost all the parts to get them to fit, would suggest to me, you are at the wrong shop.

Richard

Yeah, wow... my Stg 1 thus far has been almost entirely plug n play, with the tweaks being 99.99% my own "personal preference" adjustments to how the directions specify the install...

I dont think a turbo install can get much more KIT than what richards supplying...

I'm also having a stage-2 built using an T28 as part of a kit built by RCC. This was inspired by the Velocity stage-2 but this was shortly before they stopped doing business and we decided to go with RCC as a more secure option.

My thinking in having the bike built seems to have been very similar to yours. A usable turbo street bike with something extra and capable of being developed for competition (in my case LSR mile). The engine and transmission are built to a very high standard by Fields Performance but currently all of the cycle parts on this low milage 06 LE are standard. We took a different approach to engine management than you by using an AMS 1000 boost controller and ECU re-program. We also fitted an RCC Ultra Plenum and liquid-to-air charge cooler. This was done in part to add something during extended full throttle mile runs but also to give the bike an extra margin of safety against detonation on the road in high summer temperatures.

This has been anything but a "bolt-on" upgrade with modifications being necessary to get almost all of the parts of the "kit" to fit and I think your readers are going to enjoy the article and learn a lot from it. At the moment we are awaiting the delivery of an oil scavenging upgrade from BigCC Racing in the UK which will pump the oil back from the turbo to the sump and hopefully cure a problem of smoking from the exhaust. This should be done this month and then it goes to the dyno for tuning.

Its going to be very interested to compare the results of our two different approaches to the same goal. Mine using tried and tested engine management solution's and yours using a more modern approach which mirrors the MotoGP derived control systems we see on modern super bikes.

I've never done a mile race and neither by the sound of it have you....fancy trying them out?:mwink:

-Are you doing the install or a competent shop? This is probably the first negative thing I've ever heard about an RCC setup.
-We're doing the Mojave Mile in April. I've done countless top speed tests and measured miles in the UK at Bruntingthorpe and Elvington, as well as HPCC in California, just not in competition.

The kit fits fine, I have talked with the shop and they had some issues which I do not even understand, as I said in the previous post, the kit was built on a bike here as it was a different turbo then we would typically supply. So for there to be issues with fitment makes no sense what so ever,

The kit that was shipped was an Ultra kit, with a custom turbo, all the kit components provided were standard for our Ultra kits with the exception of the header and turbo, all other parts are production parts used in every other Ultra kit. The shop doing the install also called to tell us the air filter would not fit inside the bodywork, which is one thing we specifically fit here, on a bike prior to shipment, this in itself has me questioning their turbo installation experience.

With all this being said, this particular shop will not be sold any further turbo kits on a dealer basis, they will still be able to purchase hard parts such as sprocket covers, clutch covers, fuel rails and such, as dealers, but not turbo kits.

Richard

The air cleaned does not fit inside the fairing although I specifically asked for this. We changed the original Gen-1 radiator to a Gen-2 in order to fit the inter cooler radiator, the oil cooler was also changed for a smaller unit and re-located. I'm out of town at the moment Richard but will send you pictures when I get back.

The bike would have been on the road some time ago but for a problem of smoke coming from the exhaust. The usual things in the engine have been checked in addition to the oil restrictor to the turbo, and the oil return line level. I hope to get an oil pump from BigCC racing to pump the oil back to the sump which may do the trick. Unfortunately, we don't know for sure where the smoking problem lies and there is always the risk that even if the additional oil pump makes the smoke go away, it may just be covering up another issue.

If the smoking does disappear however, I will put it on the road and get some miles on it and keep my fingers crossed.

Well I guess someones mechanical abilities need checked as I mentioned in the previous post, as the kit was on a bike, here in our shop, with an air filter on it, with the bodywork on it.

The installer obviously did not read through the instructions as the gen 1 radiator can be used but you have to cut the elbow off the right front, cap the hole and weld it shut, and relocate the elbow to the backside of the rad, its all in the instructions, it sounds like the installer took on more then they were capable of, maybe they did not even read the instructions.

You can argue with me if you like, but seeing as I personally had the air filter on that turbo, on a bike with bodywork, I know it fit when it left here,

Richard

The air cleaned does not fit inside the fairing although I specifically asked for this. We changed the original Gen-1 radiator to a Gen-2 in order to fit the inter cooler radiator, the oil cooler was also changed for a smaller unit and re-located. I'm out of town at the moment Richard but will send you pictures when I get back.

The bike would have been on the road some time ago but for a problem of smoke coming from the exhaust. The usual things in the engine have been checked in addition to the oil restrictor to the turbo, and the oil return line level. I hope to get an oil pump from BigCC racing to pump the oil back to the sump which may do the trick. Unfortunately, we don't know for sure where the smoking problem lies and there is always the risk that even if the additional oil pump makes the smoke go away, it may just be covering up another issue.

If the smoking does disappear however, I will put it on the road and get some miles on it and keep my fingers crossed.

My experience in 30+ years of installing, tuning and racing turbos is that RCC makes the best fitting, and best quality off the shelf turbo kit. I have installed many different brand kits on many different bikes. I have never seen a fitment issue with RCC; nor have I ever seen an RCC kit that needed a scavenge pump. You definately got a problem. I don't think its the kit. I think you have a nut loose behind the wheel!:lol:

Well I guess someones mechanical abilities need checked as I mentioned in the previous post, as the kit was on a bike, here in our shop, with an air filter on it, with the bodywork on it.

The installer obviously did not read through the instructions as the gen 1 radiator can be used but you have to cut the elbow off the right front, cap the hole and weld it shut, and relocate the elbow to the backside of the rad, its all in the instructions, it sounds like the installer took on more then they were capable of, maybe they did not even read the instructions.

You can argue with me if you like, but seeing as I personally had the air filter on that turbo, on a bike with bodywork, I know it fit when it left here,

Richard

The install took no more work or fitting than I had expected and budgeted for, but if you have to cut the radiator and re-weld the elbow; it's hardly plug-and-play is it? To get the best out of the kit also requires a lot of engine and transmission work plus dyno time to tune it and that’s not plug-and-play either.

The installer fixed the oil cooler issue and was quite capable of doing radiator modification too. We had a Gen-2 radiator available however, and I asked that it be fitted to save time. As it turned out, we have the smoking issue so the bike is still not on the road.

As for the air filter, I can't see how it could have been installed incorrectly, but the next time I'm in town I'll get you a picture or two with the fairings on and off the bike. According to BigCC we'll have to cut the fairing for the oil pump as well. Not the end of the world but I would have preferred them both behind the plastic, especially the air filter to keep it out of the dirt. I've never ridden the bike so I don't know how dirty it will get, but I might try to fabricate a deflector to keep some of the muck and stones off it.

I'm hoping this magazine article will give riders an insight into what it takes to build a turbo bike and also some real feedback on the ride characteristics and how it compares with an NA Hayabusa. Who knows, it may even tempt a few to build one themselves.

With all this being said, this particular shop will not be sold any further turbo kits on a dealer basis, they will still be able to purchase hard parts such as sprocket covers, clutch covers, fuel rails and such, as dealers, but not turbo kits.

Richard

i love this post, a man that stands behind his product so much he wont let someone else ruin his name. :beerchug:

The install took no more work or fitting than I had expected and budgeted for, but if you have to cut the radiator and re-weld the elbow; it's hardly plug-and-play is it? To get the best out of the kit also requires a lot of engine and transmission work plus dyno time to tune it and that’s not plug-and-play either.

The installer fixed the oil cooler issue and was quite capable of doing radiator modification too. We had a Gen-2 radiator available however, and I asked that it be fitted to save time. As it turned out, we have the smoking issue so the bike is still not on the road.

As for the air filter, I can't see how it could have been installed incorrectly, but the next time I'm in town I'll get you a picture or two with the fairings on and off the bike. According to BigCC we'll have to cut the fairing for the oil pump as well. Not the end of the world but I would have preferred them both behind the plastic, especially the air filter to keep it out of the dirt. I've never ridden the bike so I don't know how dirty it will get, but I might try to fabricate a deflector to keep some of the muck and stones off it.

I'm hoping this magazine article will give riders an insight into what it takes to build a turbo bike and also some real feedback on the ride characteristics and how it compares with an NA Hayabusa. Who knows, it may even tempt a few to build one themselves.

We have never made a claim to having a "plug and play" turbo kit. No turbo kit is plug and play, even stage one kits require removing the oil pan and drilling a hole, removing your fuel pump assembly and drilling a hole, and all tunes for the turbo kits should be verified on a dyno as well, so really unsure where you got a "plug and play" idea from, it does take a certain amount of skill and knowledge to install a turbo kit "properly"

Your comment about "modifications needing to be done to almost all of the parts of the kit, to get them to fit" is utter rubbish, if you installer is modifying them he doesn't have a clue as to what he is doing and did not read the directions.

There was not oil cooler issue, I called Mike Jr and told him that I could do an inside the fairing filter, but not the oil cooler, he said fine, leave the oil cooler to them to install.

Your air filter can not be installed incorrectly, but I do believe the did not try too hard to get the fairings together without cutting them, it will be tight, but the fairings will go on with out cutting them.

This will be my last post on this subject, I know what was shipped and how it fit, your installer might want to stick to spark plugs and oil changes.

Super Streetbike Magazine, please accept my apologies for highjacking and dragging this through your thread.

Richard

Bugslayer, you mentioned that you'll need dyno time, engine/tranny work, tuning, etc to get everything working properly. Your tone seems negative? Dyno time and tuning is pretty much imperative for any sort of engine mod. If we install something as basic as a slip-on pipe we still dyno just to check AFR and power gains (or losses).
Installing a turbo system isn't like swapping a windscreen or grips, which is exactly the point of our article—you have to be committed and understand what you're getting into right from the get go; no shortcuts and no cheapskating for a happy end result (or so we hope!).

Back