First track day advice?

Blacksmith

Registered
Ok so I got my gauntlets today and confirmed that they will have a race suit to use at Roebling Rd on March 14 which gives me 2 weeks to do whatever prep or practice might help me. Do you track guys have any advice or suggestions that'll help me be a little more prepared or know what to expect? Obviously im not trying to set any records I just want to get in and learn as much as possible and not hurt my bike again. Or do I just ride as much as I can before then and not worry about what I'm going to be missing out on? Thanks

Oh trust me I'm not out to impress anybody, I'll be happy if I ride all day and dont get passed by a first timer on an R3!
Hydrate for a few days before . 20 minute sessions for novices are hard if your not in shape . If there is option to pay for lessons while on the track opt for it . A seasoned road racing person can really school you , and make the future laps better , and quicker for you . Eat nothing out of the norm the day before , and rest well that day / evening before . Get your bike ready several days in advance so your not down to the wire . No major mods before the track .

[QUOTE="c10, post: 3327234, member: No major mods before the track .
[/QUOTE]
I almost ordered a full set of better brake pads since I've wanted to anyway but thought I might need a boy more time to get used to them

1. Down load a map of the track layout and start visualizing the lines. That was a huge help at VIR.
2. Remember the turns are continuous not individual events. The fastest way through is the line that sets up the next turn.
3. Setbraking points and move them closer to the curve as you get more and more e

No it's stock I haven't done anything ti the suspension either end

I’d want to get rid of as much dive as possible w/o sacrificing the handling. Grabbing the brakes harder and later gets you into the corners faster. Too much dive upsets the front end when turning in. You’ll be knee hugging the rear of the tank more than you think anyway. :laugh:

1. Down load a map of the track layout and start visualizing the lines. That was a huge help at VIR.
2. Remember the turns are continuous not individual events. The fastest way through is the line that sets up the next turn.
3. Setbraking points and move them closer to the curve as you get more and more e
Thanks for that I've looked at the track but didn't think about pe running it in my head, I did look at it as individual turns though so that's a great point. I can't wait to get out there

I’d want to get rid of as much dive as possible w/o sacrificing the handling. Grabbing the brakes harder and later gets you into the corners faster. Too much dive upsets the front end when turning in. You’ll be knee hugging the rear of the tank more than you think anyway. :laugh:
I think I will get some tank pads before I go but how would I know how stiff I can go on the suspension? I replaced my forks after the laydown but I haven't adjusted anything

I think I will get some tank pads before I go but how would I know how stiff I can go on the suspension? I replaced my forks after the laydown but I haven't adjusted anything

Mine‘s a Gen 1 and the owners manual has the info. Don’t just remember how many turns you make, write them down as you go.

Obviously im not trying to set any records I just want to get in and learn as much as possible and not hurt my bike again.
You're thinking right. Go and have fun. DO NOT try to be competitive. Accept the novice riding group. It will be extremely fast. There will be a lot smaller bikes out there that handle better especially if this is small track.

Do take a riders track class if you can. It can only help at least to get you acquainted. The busa is probably just a little out of it's element on a track. You might not have as much fun you try to hit all the turn in markers. I really don't know if the instructors will get that being that they may have always ridden a lot lighter sport bikes. I just know I made my turn in where I felt comfortable. Trying to watch for marks on the track made me go a lot slower and it wasn't fun. The instructor told me he thought I was going to crash!!! LOL That never happened on either of the two track days I did. Not from my entry or exit on a corner but once from just going too fast to make the corner. I locked the front and let go as soon as I went into the grass. I stayed up. Thank god there was plenty of room.

Learn the hand signals.

You probably will rely heavily on engine braking rather than the brake. That's ok for your first track day.

Try to let bikes that are faster in the corners get around you on the straits. If there's a long straightaway, I would not hesitate to let the busa do it's thing. You have as much right as the slower bikes to enjoy your expensive track day.

Lower your tire pressure a little at a time each session. Hopefully there is someone there who can let you air up. I think I had mine as low as 18 psi front and rear and the bike gripped a lot better. The tires get hot very quick if it's a warm day. With normal 37 psi, my rear tire was slithering all over even engine breaking hard. The air expands from heat and centrifugal force also keeps the tire harder. I probably wouldn't be too aggressive with normal tire pressure.

At the end of the day, the last few sessions that's when everyone crashes. If you feel the other riders are going too fast for you, take it easy and let them get around you. I couldn't hang with the 600s as the day came to a close. No big deal. When I get to do it again some day, I will have no problem riding in novice class again. The people who are in too much of a hurry are the ones that crash.

If it's a cold day, that sucks. You won't be going too fast. One of my track days was early in the year and I just had to go slow. If the tires don't melt, it;s not warm enough. Don't try to push it.

You're thinking right. Go and have fun. DO NOT try to be competitive. Accept the novice riding group. It will be extremely fast. There will be a lot smaller bikes out there that handle better especially if this is small track.

Do take a riders track class if you can. It can only help at least to get you acquainted. The busa is probably just a little out of it's element on a track. You might not have as much fun you try to hit all the turn in markers. I really don't know if the instructors will get that being that they may have always ridden a lot lighter sport bikes. I just know I made my turn in where I felt comfortable. Trying to watch for marks on the track made me go a lot slower and it wasn't fun. The instructor told me he thought I was going to crash!!! LOL That never happened on either of the two track days I did. Not from my entry or exit on a corner but once from just going too fast to make the corner. I locked the front and let go as soon as I went into the grass. I stayed up. Thank god there was plenty of room.

Learn the hand signals.

You probably will rely heavily on engine braking rather than the brake. That's ok for your first track day.

Try to let bikes that are faster in the corners get around you on the straits. If there's a long straightaway, I would not hesitate to let the busa do it's thing. You have as much right as the slower bikes to enjoy your expensive track day.

Lower your tire pressure a little at a time each session. Hopefully there is someone there who can let you air up. I think I had mine as low as 18 psi front and rear and the bike gripped a lot better. The tires get hot very quick if it's a warm day. With normal 37 psi, my rear tire was slithering all over even engine breaking hard. The air expands from heat and centrifugal force also keeps the tire harder. I probably wouldn't be too aggressive with normal tire pressure.

At the end of the day, the last few sessions that's when everyone crashes. If you feel the other riders are going too fast for you, take it easy and let them get around you. I couldn't hang with the 600s as the day came to a close. No big deal. When I get to do it again some day, I will have no problem riding in novice class again. The people who are in too much of a hurry are the ones that crash.

If it's a cold day, that sucks. You won't be going too fast. One of my track days was early in the year and I just had to go slow. If the tires don't melt, it;s not warm enough. Don't try to push it.
[/QUOTE
The coach that's coming down for the weekend said it's pretty tight for a Busa he's only seen one on this track before. He said a fast litre bike can hit 170 on the straightaway because the enter and exit turns are long sweepers but otherwise it's a tight course better for 600's than anything else. Is the only track between here and Atlanta though so it's my only option for now. Heres the track map.
It's pretty tight, the straightaway can get fast liter bikes up to 170 because of the wide enter and exit turns buy I doubt I'll get that high my first time. They say it's best for 600's because it's so tight but is the only option between here and Atlanta
Screenshot_20200301-220924_Drive.jpg

You need to adjust that suspension properly. If not you gonna wipe out when you open it up at a corner. First set sag properly on the front and rear. Ya need a friend to help you out with that. If it's stock suspension ya need to adjust your clickers. Front I say 7 clicks out rebound, 4 clicks out compression. If you are a heavy guy knock down each value down by one. Rebound is on top of the forks. For the rear same settings but remember that location are inverse, bottom is rebound, top is compression. Try those settings on the street and see how ya feel. Also what tires ya using?

If there is a Dave Moss type fella there go straight to him and get your suspension set and ask him about tyre pressures etc , chances are he'll know the track and whats right for you set up wise.

As mentioned above water is your friend, healthy food make good choices.

Hold your line and tape up your mirrors so you cant see whats comming up from behind ( that way you can concentrate on what you're doing and not worrying if your holding someone up)

Find out before hand if you need to do anything to the bike to suit club regs, eg lock wire or tape for headlights indicators etc.

How good is your bike fitness ? I would try to ride as much and as far as possible till then.

You dont have to stay out the full 20 (?) mins each session - later in the arvo for me im a bit mentally exhausted
for full sessions, mistakes can creep in, i guess it depends on how busy the day is , it might not be an issue.

Enjoy your day out :thumbsup:

Back