First track day advice?

I just remembered, many tracks require you have water wetter and NOT coolant/anti freeze in your motor. Coolant makes the track slick if any spills out. Better check on that before you show up.

Dave Moss has
some great videos on
YouTube of suspension set up .

:super:

Seek advice at track from control riders. They’re there to help. Some trackdays have a suspension guy there. It was $75 to set up suspension and then make adjustments throughout day based on tire wear. Disconnect headlight and taillight. Tape over lenses. Remove mirrors. I put a ziptie through mirror mounting holes to secure fairing. No need to change coolant or safety wire anything until advanced group.

Once on track concentrate on hitting your lines and body position. Don’t try going fast, ride smooth. Speed will come. You don’t want to try overcoming bad habits later.

That sounds very similar to Black Hawk Farms in N Illinois where I went. Be careful but ...if the liter bikes get up too 170, you probably can do that in a lot less distance on your busa and have plenty of time to brake. It was about ten years ago but I didn't have any trouble sailing ahead of the 1000s on the straightaway.

This video is so newbish it's embarrassing but I just have to show it. You can tell how mesmerized I was by the whole event. Feel free to scroll to 3:00 that's where the jibber jabber ends and the action starts. It's a nicely edited summary of my first track day.

Last edited:
Who are you riding with? I coach for STT.

Gawd, where do I start:

- Get ready to not have any money - because trackdays are ADDICTIVE
- Look up the trackday provider's website and look at their site for trackday prep, and bike prep. Prep your bike according to their instructions and you won't waste a bunch of time at tech getting your bike right. Same for gear.
- Tires. Tires are expendable items, just like gas, oil and brake pads. Make sure you have a good set of tires on. Tires are much cheaper than bike, gear or body parts. The faster you go, the more important this will become. Oh, and street pressures and track pressures ARE NOT THE SAME. 18 pounds is WAY TOO LOW for street tires.
- PATIENCE GRASSHOPPER. Take baby steps, listen to the instruction and your coaches.
- Have someplace to rest, cool off, get a drink, etc.
- if you are riding your Busa, just remember, you may look like a hero down the front straight, but if you are with the 600's at their brake marker, you have a problem. A lot of riders know how to pin the gas, but many have no idea how their bikes hard brake.
- If there is a suspension guy there, have him set the bike for your weight...it makes a big difference.
- Look where you want to go.
- If you are riding at 100% of your ability, you can't have fun. Don't outride your skillz.
- If you want help, ask a COACH; they are there for YOU.

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for all the replies and advice guys but it looks like my first track day will be postponed, my dad is in the hospital and my mom is staying with him so I haven't had anyone to keep my daughter. He may get out by the weekend but even if he does I'll have to work Sat after missing all week. Thanks again yall have given way more info than i expected and I will get on that track asap but it wont be this weekend.

Hope your Dad gets to feeling better
Thanks C, he'll be home tomorrow and he's already saying he still wants to ride to Daytona this Sunday but idk if that'll happen. On the plus side I met a guy at Cycle Gear in Savannah last weekend that has raced at Roebling several times and said he gives private instruction so I'll be talking to him to maybe get some much needed pointers.

Reactions: c10
1. Tire Pressure
2. Make you you warm up your tires good before you get aggressive ( a lap or two )
3. Ride your own line meaning don't try to keep up with someone you don't know, they might just lead you right into the next crash.
4. No room on the track for pride, know your limits and leave enough skill on the table to get your ego out of the trouble it just got you in.
5. Listen and learn, a lot of great riders out there that will show you the right (and wrong) ways. Be cautious but eager to practice.
6. Enjoy every minute, get out of your comfort zone and go meet some new people.

We used to do a lot of track days together on this site. I miss those days.

Cap

Dave moss has some great videos on youtube of suspension set up
Ok so I watched the short clip redbull posted and seeing as im close to the same size of the guy I decided to pay the money on Dave's website to get thre full video. I used his adjustments and of course with the horrible road conditions in Michigan and the fact the settings he gave were for some track riding as well I feel my suspension may be too stiff in the rear as it seems to shoot me off the seat when going over a large bump. Any ideas what to adjust Bryan because add I've said before I get myself more confused the more I try to understand it. And @Blacksmith don't mean ti Jack your thread but if you do end up making it to your track day I believe I have the settings Dave Moss gave the guy in that video red posted wrote down that'd id be willing to share with you at least as a starting point for you.

Reactions: c10
This will get my butt kicked here - but I don't consider a Hayabusa a great track bike, too heavy and, oddly, too fast, not enough brakes.
It's at least 100 pounds heavier than a stock racer, which will require serious concentration and effort/tiring work in the curves. Fun for one day, sure, but don't see it as a consistent thing.
Twenty-plus years ago I thought it would be fun to take the Busa's grandpa, a 1995 Kawasaki ZX11, to a track day along with my racer, a CBR 600 RR. ZX-11 scared the hell out of me. Wallowed, didn't like to turn, was top heavy and faster than the brakes. I know a Busa is much improved, but I think the experience would be similar.
Let's us know how you do.
My two cents: Ride well within your limits. A track day is about fun and practice. There are no winners' trophies - and there's always someone who is faster than you.

My LAST trackday at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet. Skip to last minute if you just wanna see the highside.
Yikes! Know the feeling. I'll try to find the video of my high side at Daytona International Speedway on a GSXR 600. Haven't watched it in years, but my left knee still hurts.

Shawn what is your weight?
Fat :laugh: :laugh: , 230 which I know is too much for the stock forks. Im just looking for something comfortable for streets with a few occasional turns until I can get the suspension upgraded.

Fat :laugh: :laugh: , 230 which I know is too much for the stock forks. Im just looking for something comfortable for streets with a few occasional turns until I can get the suspension upgraded.
I would think the stock rear spring that is far to stiff would not bounce you out of the saddle .
What are you rear shock clicks out from seated on comp / rebound ?

Back