First time out riding in almost 5 months

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
Today was my first time out riding in nearly 5 months :thumbsup: Broke my leg 11 weeks ago and couldnt ride when i got back from california the beginning of November. It was a nice cold 27 degrees this morning with windchill and I almost decided not to ride because i had to put the gauges back on and such and didnt have a lot of time because I had things to do. Then starting it and letting it warm up changed my mind so i went and got my gauges, put them on, grabbed my gear and went to do my errands on the bike :thumbsup:

I couldnt find my thermal insert for my joe rocket jacket but i had other layers to make up for it however i shouldve put thermals on over my jeans because i could not feel my legs after about 20 miles. How do you guys keep your chins warm? Air seems to flow up under and just make the under part of my chin and neck sting in really cold weather... I think i have a polypro neck thing in my pack of issued gear, ill see if that works but Id like to know what you guys use to keep the neck/chin warm.

I had aparrantly forgotten how amazing the bike was in that time and how much power it had. It was nice having the freedom on the bike after 2 months of crutches and virtually having no independence during that time. Also ran a half a can of seafoam in the tank to see if it cleans anything out.

Good day :thumbsup:

IMAG0113.jpg

:welcome:back dude!
i got the same chillyness in the throat area...
a friend recomended a 'balaclava'- still thinkin 'bout it...

under armor has a 2 in 1 neck gator/head cover that i use. keeps the cold air out and keeps the ear nose and cheeks warm:thumbsup:

:welcome:back dude!
i got the same chillyness in the throat area...
a friend recomended a 'balaclava'- still thinkin 'bout it...

I started googleing balaclava and found this...
Outdoor Research Helmetclava
Looks perfect so Im buying it :thumbsup:

Stuff made with that windstopper product seem to be really good stuff. Im looking into a pair of alpinestar gloves with that windstopper material. I need good gloves too...

650w.jpg

Last edited:
Bike looks nice! those balaclava's work good! I have a couple

+1 Those things are life savers up here in Wisconsin! I get like another 1 or 2 days riding weather with them.. :mad2:

But seriously, they make a HUGE difference in your head/ears/chin/neck staying warm. :beerchug:

Check out your local uniform shop on base...good chance they'll have that item (or something similar) for sale.
P.S. I thought those came with CIF gear?

Check out your local uniform shop on base...good chance they'll have that item (or something similar) for sale.
P.S. I thought those came with CIF gear?

Yeah i hate a gaitor but its very very thin and cheap :laugh: Good ol' Marine Corps gear!

I had my local dealer of that product special order it for me :thumbsup:

It's great to read you are able to ride and enjoy your bike again; it's looking very sleek!!:thumbsup: I recently picked up this ANTIFREEZE UNISEX BODY SHEILD from the local Cycle Gear and it really works at keeping my neck and lower face warm! Antifreeze Clothing :: Motorcycle Clothing :: Highriders I also have a helmet skirt that helps with wind noise and allows a little better sound from my bluetooth headset. I took a ride on Friday and the temp was about 31 degrees, when I got home my fingers were so cold I couldn't take my helmet off!

I had to warm them on the stove for a bit, I went the next day and bought some A*s for 39.99. I have only used them on a bicycle ride last night about 34 degrees but my hands felt pretty warm; I guess the real test will be on the Busa!

d_2821[1].jpg

The hoods are great, but they work even better with one of these from NOJ. I've had one for about ten years, they're worth their weight in gold on a cold day! They also just press in between the helmet shell and the liner, no cutting, glueing, ect., and they work on any helmet.
NOJ Quiet Rider - webBikeWorld

side-view.jpg

I started googleing balaclava and found this...
Outdoor Research Helmetclava
Looks perfect so Im buying it :thumbsup:

Stuff made with that windstopper product seem to be really good stuff. Im looking into a pair of alpinestar gloves with that windstopper material. I need good gloves too...

650w.jpg

Welcome back in the saddle.
Let us know how the women in the bank react when you walk in wearing that thing :)

Welcome back in the saddle.
Let us know how the women in the bank react when you walk in wearing that thing :)

:rofl: Yeah it will come off whenever I reach my destination. I dont think anything that looks like a ski mask goes over well near any business :laugh:

How do you guys keep your chins warm? Air seems to flow up under and just make the under part of my chin and neck sting in really cold weather...

Good to hear your back on two wheels russell..

For the chin... find yourself a nice balaclava (sp?)

Covers neck over the head etc... or you can wear it in between.. and usually made of a micro fleece so they are thin and unobtrusive...

works amazing far as im concerned, and i ride iowa all year round when i am able (long as there is no ice or snow on the ground)

Be careful what balaclava you buy. There are ones that are so thick inside your helmet, you will be uncomfortable after a while.

Below is the one I have. It's so thin inside the helmet, it's like you're not wearing anything but on the neck part is the cold killer technology. I've been out there when it was 12 degrees F with no problem at all.

Here you go.
knox_coldkillers_hothood_400.jpg

Here's the link

Be careful what balaclava you buy. There are ones that are so thick inside your helmet, you will be uncomfortable after a while.

Below is the one I have. It's so thin inside the helmet, it's like you're not wearing anything but on the neck part is the cold killer technology. I've been out there when it was 12 degrees F with no problem at all.

Here you go.

Here's the link

I didnt look into the thickness but i will see. The one you sent me is a bit cheaper so i may be persuaded to that :thumbsup:

What kind of gloves do you use, the cold killer ones? I know you are a hardcore winter rider! :laugh:. I dont want to get into 12v heated clothing though...

Last edited:

Here you go.

Here's the link

Looked good and after 24 hour deliberation i bough it :thumbsup:
and some of their socks, and gloves... and pants... i hope they all work well :thumbsup:

Back