First time out, 06 Busa

lrebusa19

Registered
So I finally made it to the track with my new bike. First pass, leaving like I left a stop light and shifting like an idiot I went 11.26@128.. First time ever down the track on a bike, so I was ok with that.. 4 passes later went 10.900@132..
My 2nd gear was giving me problems popping out all day, really pissed me off..

A friend of mine on his first pass on the bike went 10.67@138, he's 5'11 140lbs... I'm 6'7 260lbs.. haha, lil ****er..

The bike is basically stock, strapped, 2 up rear, and 4 short stacks.. best 60' was a 1.902..

So what do you guys think? Decent? Crappy?

I got exhaust coming for it this week, airbox mod, and I need to get 2nd gear undercut.

for sure, its just tough for me bc generally when I'm at the track I'm with customers..(cars).. And when I'm not, I don't want to be there. lol

Practice, practice, and more practice. I started out with almost the same times as you and now I'm running 9.6x's but can still get a little more with a gear change.

Well, little update.. I picked up a Muzzy 4 into 1 full system, tossed it on the bike. Took the bike out yesterday, and did better for sure. Still learning and getting the hang of it.
Went 10.722@132.. And now that I am more comfortable on the bike, I'm noticing more things during the run..(like how I am in cars normally).. It needs more gearing, I have to just click barely into 4th before the end of the track. So I am putting a 1 down front on it tomorrow, and going back out next week...

Best 60' was a 1.826, average was low 1.9X's..

Also tuning it, and putting a shift light on it for next time out..

That sounds like a first time out, just figuring everything out. Eventually you won't be afraid anymore and you'll be going crazy out there and hitting high 9s - low 10s at your weight.

Definitely do or buy the clutch mod. Better, more consistent launches.

With gearing figured out, I can see another .10 or so off just there. A tune got me an extra .10-.20 just there, because untuned I was leaving hp on the table during the top end.

What RPM are you launching at, and what tire are you running and at what pressure? All of those can lower your 60ft, lowering your ET by .2-.3.

I already had the clutch mod done, I did it as soon as I got the bike because I pulled the clutch out to give it a look.
I just went down 1 in the front this weekend, so now it's down 1 up 2.. It's getting tuned this week, and did the airbox mod finally...

And last but not least, I'm putting a shifter on it.

I have the 180 Shinko 005... It's at, I couldn't even tell you what pressure! lol
I try to leave about 4k, and get the clutch out fast and grab a lot of throttle right away.

Ok, so I got the bike back last night. It's now -1, +2. 4 short stacks, full hindle system. It made 150 first pull, we got 164 out of it.. And I also put the air shifter on it..

Going to the track tonight.

Well, bike ran great went 10.344@137.. Little short on MPH still which I think is just due to my inconsistent shifting and probably I'm not getting after the throttle soon enough. A friend of mine who's only 40lbs less went 140 on it, so I know it's there..
Best 60' was a 1.734, average was 1.79-1.82..

Very happy, went there with the goal of going 30's and I did it...

Now to figure out how to run the 10.50 class at Byron next week!

I have to check my slips, I know I went between 109-111 on average... My 330 was significantly better this time, probably because I wasn't as worried about getting my feet up on the pegs to shift. I could just ride the ***** out.

If you have a clutch mod, launch that thing at at least 8500-9000! Get to your power band asap, you're probably bogging launching at 4500.

And on that tire, it's a street tire so make sure you're warming it up for quite awhile. I'd drop the tire down to about 18psi (when the tire is hot) and see if it still hooks up. (lauching at a higher RPM that is. And if you ride the clutch all the way out, of course it'll catch lol, so judge it on good, quick launches. If you're still slipping the rear tire, go down in PSI and/or longer burnout. If you're hooking up every time, throw a little more air in there - the more psi the better w/o slipping)

Back