First shots thru Sig P220R

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
Picked up some Georgia Arms 230gr FMJ today and ran some through the new P220R. I had planned to shoot the P220R and the P226R Navy 9mm back to back to compare them and see which was the sweetest shooter. I had owned a couple of P220's before and remembered them being smooth and accurate but my first time with the 226 had me thinking it was even smoother than I remembered the 220 being. I couldn't wait to shoot them side by side to see which ended up being the sweetest. Well, I didn't even have to shoot the P226 to find out...

The first shot I fired let me know immediately that the P226 is without a doubt the smoothest shooter. The nature of the 9mm cartridge and it's lower recoil simply means less muzzle flip and smoother shooting. The .45 has more bite which means a bit firmer grip is necessary. It also means slower follow-up shots due to more muzzle rise. Once I worked my grip out on the 220 I could get accurate follow-up shots fairly quickly, but still nothing like the 226. As for accuracy, the 220 seemed on par with the 226 after grip was sorted, but required more concentration and effort to avoid anticipating recoil and nosing the gun down just before the shot. I had a few called low shots from nosing it down by trying to beat the recoil with the trigger. A lot more trigger time will cure that issue, but it's there for now.

The first five shots were made double action, decocking the pistol between shots so I could get a feel for the heavier (compared to the 226) double action first shot of the 220. You can see I sort of strung them up and down but not too terribly bad. The group still *barely* fit inside the area of the trigger guard.

IMG_0423.jpg

My targets were 3" shoot-n-see type dots stuck on paper plates which were center punched with a roofing tack to a tree. You can see some of the more pathetic groups here along with a couple of sweet ones on the bottom target dot. The bottom group in the bottom dot was a group after I started getting grip sorted out. The group at the top was the best of the day. I had shot all my dots and picked the top of this dot as an aiming point. 5 rounds into what appears to be three touching holes from about 30 feet. These five shots were all single action, slow paced shots with MUCH emphasis put on grip, front sight, and trigger pull just to see how tightly I could group them.

IMG_0424.jpg

Same group through the trigger guard for size reference...

IMG_0427.jpg

And to prove that Sigs are "tack drivers" I took my last round of the 50 I shot and punched the tack out of the middle of the plate with it. Kinda surprised myself when I actually hit it!
biggrin.gif

IMG_0426.jpg

See the center hole in the tree. I couldn't even reach the head of the tack with another nail! Drove that sucker deep!

IMG_0425.jpg

And just for shits and giggles here's a couple of fun shots of it after it's break-in rounds. Oh, and this was my first time using the Peltor Tac 6 electronic muffs too. I love 'em!

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

uummm...Chris..............yer gettin a little gun crazy dude. Luv ya man, but yer beginning to spook me!!
biggrin.gif

Not bad, what sort of shooting do you normally do and what is your regular pistol before this one?

Ive tried a few different pistols ..almost a P220 once ...but for some reason cannot find the same kind of comfort and confidence I have in my Glock 23.

Ive had a few 9mms before and none are as satisfying to shoot as the .40 and .45 auto rounds IMO.

Back