First ride together

Seems like you have the right attitude. There's a lot to learn and you'll learn it from him, no doubt, Mouser. My wife let me teach her how to ride too and believe me, it was stressful for me, 'specially taking her around the neighborhood the first few times.

But every time we'd get back froma ride, we'd talk about it and about all the mistakes we had made (and survived) and how to avoid certain situations. She just followed my lead all the time.

One thing you have to remember is that it is YOU and YOUR bike riding. Just because Zuki makes a move like changing lanes or pulling into traffic or makes a left turn does NOT mean it's still safe for you to do so. You need to do your own head checks, your own traffic checks, your own evasions, etc. I hear about and see new riders in groups making that mistake quite often. The leader goes, so they go too without checking and BAM! They're down! Ride your own ride.

Learning to control your bike is the most important thing now, though. Most important of all, stay in control of that throttle. That's a powerful bike you have there. Easy on, and easy off the throttle at all times. There is NEVER a reason to crack it open OR closed all at once.

Oh, regarding your steep driveway, remember, let the bike do the work for you. Use the throttle to go up and the brakes when going down. Footwork doesn't cut it! Again, that's a powerful engine, make it do all the work!

There's so much more to learn. Keep up the good work though and you'll get it, especially if you keep asking questions.

--Wag--

(Mouser @ Jan. 28 2007,12:09) Hi everyone,  
First off, I want to thank you all for the kind words and words of support.
Zuki was wonderful while I was riding, I was a little afraid that he would yell at me for all the things I was doing wrong, but never did. He just kept telling me how great I was doing, and it made me feel good about the whole experience. I know there are a lot of risks in riding, and learning more, just by reading even, however, there are risks in everything we do in life. Yes I have two children, and Zuki is making me get a big life insurance out on me, and a living will. I think it's cute, but also a good idea. I am excited to take the MSF classes.

I know I was meant to ride, it doesn't matter if I am not good on my feet! heehee
I just know when I sat on the GSXR, it was perfect, not scary, but I felt more like a kid that was doing something I have wanted to do forever...and in the winter! that rocks!!!

There were times when I seen snow or sand or wet, and got a little nervous, however, I felt the way the bike wanted to move and went with it. I realize you need to have confidence in the bike you ride. I felt that this bike was made for me. The pictures make it look like the bike sits a little to high, but it really doesn't. I can stand with my feet flat and little give in the knee. I think it was just the camera. But next time I am on it I will see what Zuki thinks.

It was scary going down his driveway....it looked a lot steeper then it really is, so I had the brakes on most of the whole time. I wouldn't do anything I didn't feel good with.

Zuki is a great teacher, and I am so lucky to have him to ride with, just wish you wouldn't worry so much hunny!  
all_coholic.gif

Anyways, I could go on and on. Thank you again for all the kind words. and every little bit of input helps.
Welcome to the board. You will love it here! This group is very supportive.

I too am a relatively new rider. The first rides Wag and I went on I'm sure he felt like Zuki. You may want to think about chatter boxes. Makes communication easier when your on the bikes.

When you two are out he can ride in front and give you verbal cues of what to expect in the road and heads up on what to look out for. I know for me the first 6 months to a year I found it very helpful.

As for gear, you may want to have your leather pants made for you. I'm 5'5" and find it very hard to find leather pants that fit off the rack. I paid about $400 for mine but they fit me perfect. Something to think about.

Most of all, take it at your pace. I hope we can ride together someday.

--Nanwags

Wag and Nanwags,
Thank you for the advise. I can see where someone would want to follow the leader. We also have been looking to get a chatterbox. That is something we both want. I have been a passenger with him for 3 years, an now he is a great rider. I want to learn as much as I can.
As for the pants, I am just about a half inch shorter then Nan, I didn't realize that it would be that hard to find pants to fit. Could you tell me where you found yours? We are going to go shopping in the next few weeks, I also need new gloves. Mine were a little to thick for riding, so I had to use some of his that day. I have found it's a little difficult to turn on the blinkers and shut them off when your gloves are just tad to big. I think we are going to hit Bobs Cycle to try one some gear to see what fits.
I am so excited to finally be able to ride. I think it would be great if we could ride together sometime.

Again, Thank you for the advise, I can use it all.
smile.gif

(Mouser @ Jan. 28 2007,16:36)
(heavybusa @ Jan. 28 2007,13:30)
laugh.gif
Those are words I would love to hear.

great avatar!
Not sure if you were talking to me or not, but if you were, thanks and Zuki made the avatar for me!
biggrin.gif
Sorry I forgot to quote.
coffee.gif
That was directed to you.

Oh, I see she's joined! Congrats Mouser!! We need more gals on 2 wheels!! Lookin' good!
biggrin.gif

LOL - that's ok heavybusa, I am on my 4th cup this morning and still not awake.

Vabusa, I know we are, as long as after my MSF classes I pass the Zuki test (lol whatever that is).

Thanks Guys, you all are great!

Mouser,

First of all you have a great attitude and I applaud you for wanting to go from riding as a passenger to driving yourself. Secondly I can't overemphasize enough what WAG stated above. When I taught my g/f to ride her bike, she wanted to ride like me on mine. That will be the worst way to learn how to be safe on your bike, safe in your mind and safe on the road. Your bike and you are unique. What that means is you develop the relationship with your bike. It will teach you what it can do. My g/f tried to take the same type of manuevers I was. The same type of decisions I was making. 2 different machines, skill levels and capabilities. Please ride and learn and drive at your pace and no one elses.

Good luck and it will be HUGELY rewarding and fun.

Now my g/f can ride anywhere, anytime and under nearly any conditions. In fact we are doing a 6 hour run (one way) next week on our bikes. She will do great but she has never done a ride that long herself, so it will be yet another learning experience for her.

You will learn for years, don't be afraid of knowing that.

Talltom

Thank you, yes wags gave some great advise, you all have and I take every bit of it. As Zuki says, every time you are on the road you learn something new no matter how long you have ridden. I know I will be a great rider after a lot of experience. It felt so right being on that bike, even with roads being wet and sanding. I am already addicted!
biggrin.gif

As for communication devices, I have been looking at the Autocom setup, as well as the chatterbox. I've read pro's and con's for both - Just wondering if anyone would advise one over the other. Price is the biggest concern here, as I rather put more money into gear for Mouser & were on a budget...sigh.

The Zuki test....lol Mouser, yah I guess I did say that. I guess what I mean is MSF teaches a lot of good stuff, and you know I'm on the list to become an instructor, but there are things the beginner course is not able to teach you due to time constraints. My test, if we want to call it that, is more of a continual skills building effort. I just want to keep us safe, not make you nervous, yet at the same time be aware of all the hazards.

As already mentioned, you are in control of the machine, and you have to be comfortable with it and your decisions. Just those few seconds between us while traveling down the road may seem like were experiencing the same situation, where in reality we are both in completely different situations and each of us have to make the proper decisions for ourselves.

I've grown a lot in my motorcycle education due the members here, and the information I have learned from this forum. I'm glad your a part of it hun, great people and a wonderful family environment. Sure I've made an @ss of myself here more then a few times, but thats life, and as I learn from the members here I become a better person.

Thanks everyone for welcoming Mouser so warmly - We've had our ups and downs through life like most of you have, but I like to think were good people and family orientated and hope we can both contribute in a positive manner. Oh, hun we have to get you signed up as a donating member.

Thanks again Everyone
beerchug.gif

post-52-02136-welcome.gif
Man where can I find a woman like you. Most woman wont even get on my busa and not many ride them selfs. Too scared!!
Keep up the great job you both are doing! It a big job learning to ride and even a bigger job teaching some one to ride. No matter how long you've been riding, you can always learn something new. Someone who rides good had a great teacher and it sound like you have a great one there. You both are doing a fantastic job, you both have given me a great example to follow when my daughter asks me to teach her how to ride in a few years.
race.gif

(1 BAD 2K @ Jan. 29 2007,10:37)
post-52-02136-welcome.gif
Man where can I find a woman like you. Most woman wont even get on my busa and not many ride them selfs. Too scared!!
Keep up the great job you both are doing! It a big job learning to ride and even a bigger job teaching some one to ride. No matter how long you've been riding, you can always learn something new. Someone who rides good had a great teacher and it sound like you have a great one there. You both are doing a fantastic job, you both have given me a great example to follow when my daughter asks me to teach her how to ride in a few years.
race.gif
Hmmmm where can you find a woman like me? Try an insane asylum!! lol I loved getting on the back of Zuki's busa, and it was more fun when he would pass some hot headed teenagers in the go fast sports cars doing a wheelie! I had to giggle. It was awesome (and stupid).
Anyways, when your daughter wants to ride, she is going to love it I am sure. Zuki has taken the kids a few times around the block and they loved every second of it.

I love to pic my women up at the Insane asylum, they have a great out look on life
laugh.gif

Ya I do have a desk job, but I work from home also, so sometimes it feel like I live on the computer...but I told my boss that I am not working past 4 this summer...need time to ride!

You're sure gonna have fun on here, both of yaz!!!

biggrin.gif

--Wag--

Back