First Ride Reaction: Where Have I Been All My Life?

HayaWakened

Donating Member
Registered
The irony of this is that I eke out a living as a writer and find myself struggling for words to describe this first ride experience…

Ride Details:
SoCal: Fontana to Pasadena to Orange to Fontana.​
Total miles: 150, 90% freeway​
Let’s see… velvet, warm butter, gliding underwater and not worrying about breathing…

But surely all of you here on this forum already know this, and the points that follow, but wish to share the following quirks:
  • I know longer have to think about gearing in order to optimize available power. Any gear, just roll on. Effortless. A new experience for me.
  • I had to put a line of white med tape on the speedo radiating from center to 60…
    • cuz I’m old (not a millennial by about 30 yrs. See: “Millennials and motorcycles” on General Bikes and related Forums) and usually wear reading glasses and can’t clearly see the numbers on the speedo when riding
    • just so I’d know if I was over that
    • cuz the bike seems to like 100 as a cruise point (!!)
  • The Zero Gravity wind screen curve finishes below my chin. I’m still white-knuckling the grips for fear of being ripped off the bike at anything over 70. I see this as a plus.
  • At around 120 miles of this ride, I couldn’t shake the feeling I had been riding this bike all my life. The last time I felt so natural of a connection, I ended up married (1986). Marriage didn’t last but the friendship persists to this day.
Does anyone else find themselves going out to where the bike sits just to stare at it, just because?

The white knuckling grip and fear is not a plus, not at all.
To the contrary, that's the best way to get killed(or wish you had've been).
Relax, seriously. You'll enjoy the ride more and live longer
Glad you're enjoying it though, that's the way it's supposed to be.:beerchug:

The irony of this is that I eke out a living as a writer and find myself struggling for words to describe this first ride experience…

Ride Details:
Let’s see… velvet, warm butter, gliding underwater and not worrying about breathing…

But surely all of you here on this forum already know this, and the points that follow, but wish to share the following quirks:
  • I know longer have to think about gearing in order to optimize available power. Any gear, just roll on. Effortless. A new experience for me.
  • I had to put a line of white med tape on the speedo radiating from center to 60…
    • cuz I’m old (not a millennial by about 30 yrs. See: “Millennials and motorcycles” on General Bikes and related Forums) and usually wear reading glasses and can’t clearly see the numbers on the speedo when riding
  • The Zero Gravity wind screen curve finishes below my chin. I’m still white-knuckling the grips for fear of being ripped off the bike at anything over 70. I see this as a plus.
  • At around 120 miles of this ride, I couldn’t shake the feeling I had been riding this bike all my life. The last time I felt so natural of a connection, I ended up married (1986). Marriage didn’t last but the friendship persists to this day.
Does anyone else find themselves going out to where the bike sits just to stare at it, just because?
2 Things,
1) you have caught the Busa bug. it becomes an addiction. Next up will be Ti, Carbon, and customization addictions! We wish you luck !

2) The Bike clearly has you at a loss for words....Speechless to an extent since you typed "I know longer have to think about gearing" However, I believe you meant that you "NO" longer.

Yes, I go out to the garage just to check on the bike. It's purdy, and it's hard to believe it's really out there. Eagerly waiting for the next ride. I also felt the strange connection with the bike after a few miles. I'm already married, otherwise...:D

2 Things,
1) you have caught the Busa bug. it becomes an addiction. Next up will be Ti, Carbon, and customization addictions! We wish you luck !

2) The Bike clearly has you at a loss for words....Speechless to an extent since you typed "I know longer have to think about gearing" However, I believe you meant that you "NO" longer.

No, no no!!! That's the way that sentence came when I bought it! I swear!!

Ride Details:

Yes we all do that still from time to time just eye the bike. Slow it down for a while & get better aquainted just enjoy it for a bit. Don't try, just do. If you push her to hard before your brain catches up she will PUSH back. Soon you will be yelling out loud with the helmet on in response to your new machine while riding.

I personally found how docile the bike is when not on the throttle, it easily lopes along at a gentle pace.

I also found it can be deceptive when you do get on the throttle, triple digit speeds are so easily achieved, I found myself surprised when looking at the speedo. It is also deceptive by how it handles, I've had it over on the pegs in the twisties and it felt planted and solid.

My previous bike wasn't gutless by any means but it pales to this bike.

Suzuki did well in it's development of this bike and hopefully the next generation will be as good.

The bike is an amazing platform, like the girl of my dreams she can be whatever I want her to be, I just have to ask it of her....
I think we all go look at them sometimes, I know I do.
Fear of a bike will kill you. Respect of a bike will save your life.

On another note, what type of writing do you do? And Pasadena is where I grew up. I've ridden many miles on the 210.....

@Mr Brown: "The bike is an amazing platform, like the girl of my dreams she can be whatever I want her to be, I just have to ask it of her.... "

Completely agree! And the 210 is an amazing freeway.

Riding and Writing...
I start in San Bernardino and head west on the 210 into your old stomping grounds at least once a week, often more. This equates to my “commute” if you can call it that, and is why I chose the Hayabusa. I’m counting on it being that platform, one which allows me to cruise those ~45 miles at just slightly above average flow speed which seems to settle in around 80 during off-peak hours (you may remember CA has the ‘Basic Speed Law’, luckily, and thus, sort of tolerates this excess…sort of). I was looking for a bike that cruises well at that rate (meaning low RPMS: this bike delivers 90 below 5k, whereas my FZ1 produced 85 @ 5.5k), is comfortable, reliable, and yet still offers me both the sport look and the sport option. I don’t sport very much these days, but it’s nice to have it as an option (is it true these bikes in stock configuration manage high-nine quarter-miles??) I do, however, lane split, or did, but will give myself about 500 non-splitting miles in the Hayabusa seat before considering a return to that controversial habit. Doing so requires a bike to be nimble, flickable, stoppable, as you know, and while I’m sure this Hayabusa possesses each of these qualities, my age (reflexes) requires a delicate and well-thought-out approach before attempting, especially since this is my first Hayabusa, the heaviest bike I’ve ever owned, the fastest, most powerful, etc., etc.

I quit writing for hire two years ago and now spend my writing time working on novels (fiction). In other words, I’m usually starving. Prior to that, I wrote copy for websites. Nowadays, that’s called Content Writer. When I first started out, it was referred to as Copywriter, and only the accountants had computers. The only thing that’s changed is the medium. And maybe the pay scale.

Planning any trips back to Pasadena? Please allow me the pleasure of buying you a cup of coffee - or a tank of gas; they're about the same price - if you find yourself in Southern California.

I do not sport very much these days ,
but it is nice to have it as an option
( is it true these bikes in stock configuration manage high-nine quarter - miles ? ? ? )

Hayabusa possesses each of these qualities ,
my age ( reflexes ) requires a delicate and
well - thought - out approach before attempting ,
especially since this is my first Hayabusa ,
the heaviest bike I have ever owned ,
the fastest , most powerful , etc . , etc .

Please allow me the pleasure
of buying you a cup of coffee -
or a tank of gas ; they are
about the same price -
if you find yourself in
Southern California .

Typing things like " my age " ( reflexes ) ~ you do know PirateDiverJeff is on Medicare *

If you search #emwdRetiRed ~ you will see that I have retired *

Last edited:
My Dad lives in Alhambra, so I come back as often as funding and timing allow, and plan on being there some time this year. I don't drink coffee, but we can certainly meet up at one of the eateries for lunch! Burrito Express, Tops, The Hat, Lucky Boy, or my all time SoCal favorite, In N Out.
In my formative years we used to enjoy the 110 (which no longer holds freeway status) more than the 210, but both have their upside.
I think you'll find the Busa forgiving and accommodating, at least in as far as a hyperbike can be, and it certainly meets the needs you have.

Last edited:

Ride Details:

I have been doin that for years starin and cleanin all the busas I had in the garage head in after work to give the busa it's 10th polish in 3 days Had 2 ZX12s fireplace R1 ZRX1200 ZXR750 they got maybe a glance once a week But once a busa is in the garage I have a path worn out to it i could spend a long time with a cloth in my hand polishin away like mad I have the same disease as you nothing to be ashamed of Hayabusas are a part of my DNA Its better than listing to a nagging pain in the a##e of a girlfriend believe me I f####n know Sorry Gents another rant over

I have been doin that for years starin and cleanin all the busas I had in the garage head in after work to give the busa it's 10th polish in 3 days Had 2 ZX12s fireplace R1 ZRX1200 ZXR750 they got maybe a glance once a week But once a busa is in the garage I have a path worn out to it i could spend a long time with a cloth in my hand polishin away like mad I have the same disease as you nothing to be ashamed of Hayabusas are a part of my DNA Its better than listing to a nagging pain in the a##e of a girlfriend believe me I f####n know Sorry Gents another rant over
Sorry Fireblade not fireplace bloody predictive text

Back