First ride impressions: 2012 S1000RR

spotrot

Registered
First ride impressions: (my background: Other bike: Gen 1 Hayabusa. Rode R6 at Miller recently. Lots of time with bikes that are now antiques decades ago, heh, heh)

Disclaimer: This is still rev-limited and I’ve not ridden it on curvy roads yet.

Pro (2012 model)
Front brake exc.
Shifting exc.
Quality exc.
Throttle feel exc.
White tack dial: like it
Sound: good, fairly loud at rpm (it sorta like a 2 cycle at neutral throttle)
Wheelie control is fairly smooth in Sport mode
Gear indicator
Very nimble
Rear light is stunning (but I like 59 Cadillac’s too)

Con
Frame (where my knee rests) gets very, very hot
Rear brake - what? It might stop from 3 mph in 30 feet. I even checked to see if the pads were in backwards.
Brake fluid reservoir: looks like a urine sample cup above the instruments ($9 sock on eBay handles that)
Track timer - nuisance, hit the wrong button and display changes (OK, I’ll read the manual again)
Not as comfortable as busa - ready for a break after an hour
My wife won’t ride on it (OK, sometimes that’s a Pro)
Cleaning time - hours vs. minutes for ‘busa
No gas gauge
Front seat attachment - poor design
Need to buy accessory and carry cable to lock even one helmet

Misc.
Seat: significantly higher than my slightly lowered busa
Need to work a little harder to find neutral
Power: pulls a little 5 up and gets lively over 7k (rev limited to 9k until first service)
Tires: Conti Attacks
Need full Torx set (to at least T50) to check tightness of bolts

Summary: Great huge-fun high-tech 1k bike but I’m keeping my busa and maybe getting a Gen 2. If I had to have only one bike, at this stage, it would be a Hayabusa.

detail.jpg

LF.jpg

r seat.jpg

tail.jpg

Front.jpg

Paint.jpg

rear.jpg

I'm jealous! :drooling3:

Your review is exactly what I thought on the test ride I took a couple years ago and that would definately be my 2nd bike if I could swing it. Keep us updated.

Oh and if you havent ridden the Gen II yet, dont! You'll love that too. :cool:

Well, you got the right color and I'd wait to see what Zuki does this year with the 2013 Busa before buying a Gen II. Great bikes, plenty of improvements, but I've got a feeling they might do something since Kawi stepped it up this year.

Although it is a beautiful bike and Im sure that it hauls, its just something about seeing that BMW symbol on there that just throws me off a lil???

No fuel gauge, but when you get to 30 miles the miles counts down until zero for empty.

Frame does get hot, sure that not helping seeing that you are in FL, Carbon frame covers will fix that, Makes for great hand warms in the Winter tho :laugh:

Those asymmetrical lights are surely ugly. I cant see myself liking them over time also. Quality looks very good. Like seriously BMW ,no fuel gauge :banghead:

Nice addition. It would never replace my beloved Hayabusa as they are two completely separate animals.
For an addition I think you made a great choice as it would be mine if given the opportunity.
:thumbsup:

Con
Rear brake - what? It might stop from 3 mph in 30 feet. I even checked to see if the pads were in backwards.

That is an intentional design by BMW. Designed for your benefit!

Nice ride! Black would be my choice as well. ENJOY!

Those asymmetrical lights are surely ugly. I cant see myself liking them over time also.

Man, I heard so much about this bike but this is the first time I saw the front WTF! Sometimes its a blessing to have that first scratch on ones new stuff so then you can treat it like its supposed to be treated. Since it ships with a black eye right out of the factory there is nothing holding me back from getting the most out of it!! :-) Enjoy!!

Well, you got the right color and I'd wait to see what Zuki does this year with the 2013 Busa before buying a Gen II. Great bikes, plenty of improvements, but I've got a feeling they might do something since Kawi stepped it up this year.

I'm looking forward to it too. I saw a black Gen 2 in a showroom last year - it was gorgeous. If it had ABS, it would be in the garage.

No fuel gauge, but when you get to 30 miles the miles counts down until zero for empty.

Frame does get hot, sure that not helping seeing that you are in FL, Carbon frame covers will fix that, Makes for great hand warms in the Winter tho :laugh:

The frame was painfully hot when riding on a 62F day. The frame covers I saw were over $400. It's probably good that it will make me spend the money on riding pants thicker than jeans.

My brother has another one just like that and loves it! :thumbsup:

You'll see pics of it shortly. He got the first 2012 in Cali and Yoshimura used it for all there product fitment and pics... :beerchug:

ita a race bike with turn signals, headlights and brake lights. getting hot is normal for a race bike but not necessarily likeable and the novelty of being a turn-key track bike would wear off fast imo when ur legs feel like they are going to melt. not to mention how uncomfortable it would be past 30 minutes.....:whistle: kinda like my buddys Ducadi 1098.

Back