First person multicopter flying

mysql

Registered
Finally got my new lighter weight FPV quad built.

Thought you guys might like to see the first flight. Nothing fancy, but it's a lot of fun. Like being in your own pod racer.

Make sure to switch on HD.

At 0:40 into the video, you can see when I turn on position hold (GPS lock, MAG lock, Baro hold). So the quad sits in that one spot, and I can just look around without having to worry about drift.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the DJI Phantom shell for this build because it's only 170 grams. Not the sturdiest of frames, but it's light and has a lot of camera mounts available. Irony is that I made my own clean plate area for the camera and didn't buy anything off the shelf for it.

Fully loaded weight is 1350 grams. ~3 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
But what receives the video? Just wondering how clear the real time video feed is.

What sort of range is available, or how far away can you keep control?
and Do you watch a monitor to fly it?

The video is sent to goggles you wear on your face. So you are literally flying from inside the multicopter.

These are the goggles I use: Attitude SD|Attitude SD-Attitude SD,Attitude SD-FAT SHARK RC Vision Systems

The video you see on youtube, are recorded by a second camera -- Sony AS-15. You don't use the AS15 for viewing since there will be a delay in video input. Thus the secondary CCD camera.

The range on my FrSky module is 2.5 km. If you get a DragonLink for the transmitter, the range will be bumped up to 30 km.

DragonLink | DragonLink RC UHF Long Range FPV for Futaba JR and all others!

I didn't buy this off the shelf, I built it based on parts I wanted. Cost of the quad is somewhere around $400. Goggles are around $350.

Really not too bad.

The radio has two way telemetry, so it can tell me (LCD display and audio via beeping) when battery is getting low, as well as when the multicopter is getting near the edge of it's range.

It also has return to home (RTH) capability, so I can flip a switch and it comes back to me.

^ That guy is using a real Phantom. I am just using the outside shell of the Phantom.

NAZA gets complaints about it taking off and never seeing them again. I wonder if he screwed up or if NAZA did.

Huh... Well that's not cool. I'd love to have a setup like yours one of these days, with the camera and goggles. How do you like the Sony camera? I've looked at them a little bit, but haven't heard a whole lot about them.

The Sony is better than the first two GoPros. I don't think it's better than the black edition, however the black edition isn't $200 better than the sony. So I ended up buying that instead.

Sony AS-15 is around 80g (without the case). I just haven't found a good lightweight case that protects the lens yet. I wouldn't have had that issue with the gopro...

It's all about trade offs. Sony also has better lens, and less warping at the edges. Colors are more saturated (especially green and blues) to the point of being unrealistic sometimes. But you can fix that during image processing.

The video I posted above has no after processing or stabilization enabled (either software or in camera). So bump it up to 1080p and what you see is what you get.

1. How high
2. How far away
3. How fast
4. How long will it stay up?

Man I am ready to go buy one.. :) about the only way I can beat Uncle Steve at the track..

Back