First oil change done now having shifting problems

ScottyE

Registered
Just did my first 600 mile oil change on my bike myself installed a new K&N oil filter and a little over 3.5 quarts of Valvoline 10 W-40 4 stroke motorcycle oil its JASO approved and designed for wet clutches or so it says . Anyway like the title says I'm now having problems with the thing when trying to change gears is this normal ? I didn't want to go synthetic till I had a few thousand on it anyone got any ideas ? I tried the search function but didn't get any hits.

Do you still have it apart? If so, you might replace the vavoline with Mobil 1, non synthetic motorcycle oil. At the next oil change, switch to a full synthetic mobil 1. You will get many opinions on oil, just like tires. My bike shifts like butter with mobil. Oil brands will make a difference in how she shifts.

does it slip...not up / down shift...can you describe the issue...try beating on it bit and let the plates and springs seat again...is the slave cly cracked...

OK took it for a short ride its doing much better now still getting a neutral when upshifting to second a couple times but pretty sure its just new oil syndrome LOL! Sorry .:whistle:

You have to shift like you mean it, but you also have to use the correct oil :poke:

You have to shift like you mean it, but you also have to use the correct oil :poke:
I've always ran Valvoline In my cars so when I saw Valvoline Motorcycle oil that met all the manufacturers recommendations for half the price of the others I figured what the heck its only going to be in there for 2500 miles anyway! So we will see how it does.

The shifting will clean up after a few thousand miles. Mobil 1 racing 4T has worked well for me and I've been running it since 3k miles. Got 36K on her as off this weekend and she still runs like new.

I run mobil 1 with Suzuki oil filter u could also adjust your hand lever to another setting it made mine shift a little easier

Back