First long ride alone

extensive

Donating Member
Registered
so i will be traveling to VA in a week and was wondering what do you guys take on long trips? its around 450 miles.

any links to tire patching kits would be great too.

many guys here will have some great links for touring - GREAT Info I've used from them.
earplugs, plenty of sleep previously, padded gloves, gels in your souls

many guys here will have some great links for touring - GREAT Info I've used from them.
earplugs, plenty of sleep previously, padded gloves, gels in your souls
i use earplugs all the time, love sleep, got great gloves and my boots are so comfortable.

im thinking about getting the throttle rocker. ive heard nothing but good things about them.

Really 450 miles isn't a long trip, but you need to take Zip Ties, 100 mph tape, tire repair (you already have) and A CREDIT CARD ! You shouldn't need much other than ear plugs and your regular gear, and if your not going on an Interstate the throttlemeisters aren't needed unless you ride where there is NO cars. Remember in these HEATED  
AAAssjani.gif
days, stop about every 140 miles, fill up with gas and fill up yourself with WATER --- NO SOLF DRINKS ! And above ALL ELSE :::::  HAVE FUN
wink.gif

I have a Throttlemeister heavy and a throttle boss. Both are good at their intended mission. The throttle boss is a godsend in traffic! I also have dual star Heated grips which I highly recommend. Best $40 I have spent!

If you do some searching there was a thread a while back about what people carried with them on the road. Some good stuff if you can find it.

I've heard and read about some sort of foam that you can spray into your tires to make them extra hardy for long touring rides, that don't affect the way they normally handle. They apparently protect against flats too. And no, I'm not talking about the foam you spray in to repair a flat...this stuff is different.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about? I tried googling it, but I've forgotten what it's called. I read about it in Bike.

<!--EDIT|doodoggy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155402991 -->

Go with the throttle rocker. Its a great investment if you are going to be doing a majoruty of the riding on highways. Tire plug kit. Duct tape and electric tape. WD-40 and plexus. bring a syphon, Im probabaly sure I spelled that one wrong.

get an air compressor at wally world for 10 bucks....fits right in the tail...also get some of those padded elastic gel shorts at a bicycle shop, it will save your butt...stay hydrated and have fun!!! and dont forget some cleaner for the helmet....

Throttle Rocker is a good idea. Where in VA are ya going? Anywhere near Staunton or Waynesboro?

450 miles really isn't all that far. Others have given you a good list of "items". The only other thing I'd add is a small can of chain lube. I like to lube about every 300-400 miles. You can lube the chain for your return trip.

I do long road trips, last one was just about 3,800 miles. Tire kit is a must, along with something to fill it up a 45 gram shot is about 22 psi, thottlemeister is very nice to have, water, cell phone, gear just incase, some extra links for the chain just incase, tools to fix little things always on the bike. A good lock to make sure you bike is there in the morning is also recommended.

Back