First group ride and smoking....

killerrudy

Registered
So I got a chance to do a group ride this weekend. It was awesome, but disheartning at the same time. I was informed that I was smoking out the exhaust. So I had everyone pay attention. Seems like only on deceleration I get some smoke(Blue). The harder the deceleration the more smoke that comes out. Kinda lost on this one. Oil level was fine after 200 mile trip. Got about 300-350 miles on it since I got the tuning completed. It doesn't smoke any other time. Hard, light acceleration or just cruising nothing can be seen.

Smoking on decelleration is usually valve seals. Not sure if the turbo could be the cause though.

DSC_1867.jpg

DSC_1868.jpg

DSC_1870.jpg

DSC_1872.jpg

DSC_1869.jpg

DSC_1867.jpg

DSC_1868.jpg

DSC_1870.jpg

DSC_1872.jpg

DSC_1869.jpg

Our Busa's have allot of oil pressure. Make sure you have an oil restrictor right on top of the turbo center section. Plain bearing turbo use a .060 restrcitor like this link. GT series ball bearing turbos have .035 restrictor.

I wasn't familiar with this. Can anyone else with an SRP confirm that they come with this restrictor?

I have had people tell me the same thing, I'm new to the turbo thing as well but I know another guy that runs a turbo on his busa and it does the same thing on decel, I've asked around and a lot of speculation is that the FMU is slow to catch up with the quick closing of the throttle and causes a momentary rich condition. I dont know if this is the case but my smoke is black, not blue. Anyway, it isnt the first time I've heard of smoking on decel with a turbo bike but then again, I havent had much experience with turbo bikes.

Personaly i don't like the elbow at the sump,
your trying to get aereated oil to flow with very little difference in level from turbo to oil level, any restriction can cause the oil to run at a higher level in the turbo

and could be your turbo, piston ring seal in the exhaust side is not a perfect seal, some do it better than others, esp if there are other factors influencing
your choices here are to improve your system with restrictor and maybe look at the drain fittings
if this doesn't help, you could just live with a puff of blue on decell ,
or contact the seller and see about getting it repaired or replaced ..

or contact the seller and see about getting it repaired or replaced ..

LOL!!! Yeah I tried contacting SRP after I placed the order and they had already charged my card. Talking to someone after that was rediculious! Not even worth my time. I think I agree with the elbow at the pan. Think I will put on a hard 90 and see if that helps. Thanks :beerchug:

LOL!!! Yeah I tried contacting SRP after I placed the order and they had already charged my card. Talking to someone after that was rediculious! Not even worth my time. I think I agree with the elbow at the pan. Think I will put on a hard 90 and see if that helps. Thanks :beerchug:

All I can say is I feel your pain! Let me know how that other elbow works out. I have the same kit and will change it out before getting everything up and running so as not to run into the same problem. Thanks. :beerchug:

I'm at work right now and can't check hose size, but I think that's a -6 AN line. Do you think bumping it up to a -8 AN line and elbow would help out the situation, or is that overkill?

don't think the size of the line is going to change. I think it is the fact that the 90 in the kit actually dips down from the spill into the pan due to the offset. I will just have to see how the hard 90 works instead.

I wasn't familiar with this. Can anyone else with an SRP confirm that they come with this restrictor?

No they dont. I ran mine for 6k hard miles last year, and never had an issue. The "hard 90" is called a bulkhead style fitting, and thats not gonna make a diffrence. Also it is a -8 line.

The pics look pretty good, but id cut a bit more out of the return line, it looks like it got a bit of a dip in it. Cut enough out of it that its on a constant downward angle all the way to the oil pan. :beerchug:

Murderedout07 is correct, it is a -8 line, and changing the fitting will make no difference what-so-ever, as the fitting is below the oil. There are literally thousands of bikes out there with a 90 degree bulkhead fitting and no issues.

Richard

Back