First direct shift Hayabusa ? No heim joint or shift rod . Pictures for your viewing

c10

Registered
So I picked up a random fixed Suzuki steel shift arm . Like I guessed same teeth on the shift shaft splines . Of to the races we go .
First what this may accomplish is reduction in shift arm travel by 3/16" before you load the actual shift shaft for a gear change .
That means slightly less foot travel . ( Important for me due to reduced ankle movement )
Second it reduces a wearable part that requires lube/service from time to time .

Why would you do this ? I was bored , and wanted to see if it made improvements on the shifting . The ZX14 is set up like what I have done .

Bad news is no ride report due to foot surgery tomorrow a.m. that will prevent me from testing it . It will be about 1 week before I can ride with the foot .

20150908_203521_zpsr9rvhuqe.jpg
20150908_210316_zpsgyloakdn.jpg
20150908_210449_zpsqg0mokh8.jpg
20150908_210521_zpshqqw7nco.jpg
20150908_210816_zps73a9schp.jpg
20150908_211102_zpscobzav8n.jpg
20150908_211111_zpsrh3hvbva.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: First direct shift Hayabusa ? No heim joint or shift rod . Pictures for your vie

Good job. Let us know how the foot and shifter work out

Re: First direct shift Hayabusa ? No heim joint or shift rod . Pictures for your vie

Mate of mine did this to his 07 GSX1400 it worked well.

So my Doctor rescheduled my surgery for late today . I had to get the bike out and try it . Setting at the same height as the OEM shifter was to low due to less movement required . A one tooth adjustment made for a very pleasing ride around town . Big difference in the shift especially with the factory pro shift kit installed to top it off . On the 5th to 6th shift one can now tell there is more travel to make this shift . My mod sure helped , but if you shift the same movement as 1 through 5 you can get the false neutral . I can also feel a slight detent mid way through the 5 to 6 shift that is not present in the other gear changes .Most likely this is in the shift drum having a edge that eventually wears down . Many Gen II owners say it goes away after several thousand miles . My ride currently has 798 miles , and I have owned it for less than two months .

Some weight reduction ( 4 ounces ) not that it matters much .
Pros = improved shifting / less service over OEM
Cons = No shift kill via OEM shift rod / PCV or others .

My brother with his 2015 Haybusa all stock is coming by after my surgery today . Ill let him ride it to compare back to back .

Heres hoping for a quick recovery mate, foot surgery can take some time to heal..

You might lose a wee bit of micro adjust-ability from the stock rod with this but I like it otherwise. Nice.

to me GP feels more natural. when accelerating the weight is forward, sometimes you crouch. Seems pushing the lever down seems right
Cool...I'm trying to decide if I Wanna give it a try

If so I'm hoping it would help the 1st to 2nd gear shift that seems soooooo long to fully engage compared to the others, seems pushing would help instead of pulling..or maybe I jus need to adjust it better

Thanks @fallenarch

I favor GP due to my limited ankle movement , and the bird down shifts better than up shifts .
Also GP allows for mid corner gear changes without your foot being under the shift lever .
My direct shift arm does remove much of the slack that comes from a arm , two heim joints , and the bronze bushing in the stock shift arm .

I favor GP due to my limited ankle movement , and the bird down shifts better than up shifts .
Also GP allows for mid corner gear changes without your foot being under the shift lever .
My direct shift arm does remove much of the slack that comes from a arm , two heim joints , and the bronze bushing in the stock shift arm .
What exactly did u use for the direct shift, what did u source it from

Back