First chain adjustment.

moloko

Banned
Did my first adjustment on the 'Busa. I've done it several times on my Hard tail, but it's a bit different cuz, not nearly as high performance, and no suspension load.

Seemed to have went well. Don't have a torque wrench, just snugged it up real good, not straining myself by any means, then another tug to line up the cotter pin holes.

Got about 1/2 in up, 1/2 in down play in the center of the bottom of the chain, pressing on it with i'd say medium force each direction, not forcing it past where it just naturally wants to stop each way.

Sound about right?

Drove it up and down the block, doesn't want to pull either direction so I'd say the tire is even on straight! woohoo

It seems tighter than when I had my mechanic replace my sprockets. He told me I'd hate my aluminum rear cuz it will wear fast (It was on sale really cheap so whatev.) and a bit loose was better than tight.

.8 to 1.2 is in spec so I think I got it right. Just feels snug compared to when I got it back before.

It was banging on the rubberish plastic guard thing last night so it had worked itself pretty loose.

My adjustment is with no weight on the bike. GRRR, So should I got loosen it a bit, sit on it, and then measure it? Is it gonna Break on me if I leave it as is?

Guess I got it where I feel safe. 3/4 up, not quite half and inch down with me not on it. Snugs a bit when I sit on it, but impossible for me to measure. It's not gonna slap on anything anymore anyway.

Seems weird to me a bit looser and it doesn't want to press down as far as it did before..??

Ahh well. I think it's good now.

Last edited:
Sounds like your over-thinkin it:whistle:
Id say its good from your description, lil bit of play is what ya want.

Dont forget the lube too:laugh:

Back