Fire from exhuast??

busa186

Registered
Got my hmf high mounts from t&m powdercoating. Super deal on them. Installed them and they sound amazing! However, as I was having a eargasim to the reving motor I noticed fire come out... probably not a issue from the pipes, just accentuated the issue. What is that from.

kromdom said:
running rich?

That's what I thought... everything is stock. Changed the plugs about 2k ago. First time doing so I triple checked the gaps. Anything else to do? I run 87 @ the pump.

Thanks

if its stock or aftermarket filter aftermarket exhaust and you have done the pair removal but not tuned it, it could be running rich and the heat could be igniting the unburnt fuel in the exhaust gasses... my fave thing to do on the old carb bikes while riding was pull the clutch hit the kill switch crack it wide open and turn the kill switch back to on dump the clutch and wham huge bursts of flames lmfao

card16969 said:
weird without looking at it and seeing it happen im not sure, have you hear any rough idle chugging sluggishness or anything before the exhaust?

Not really. If anything I thought it smelled rich. But the is just an assumption based on the smell of the exhaust

Not really. If anything I thought it smelled rich. But the is just an assumption based on the smell of the exhaust

if it smelt rich it very likely could be.... could always put a good filter in it and take it in and have it ecu tuned, should run better

if it smelt rich it very likely could be.... could always put a good filter in it and take it in and have it ecu tuned, should run better

Yeah, if it smells rich, it's probably igniting in the exhaust - but not igniting till the end of the pipe when it gets some oxygen to support combustion. Pretty easy to know when a bike it running rich. Does the exhaust smell like gasoline? And is the outlet of your pipe sooty with carbon deposits?

Yeah, if it smells rich, it's probably igniting in the exhaust - but not igniting till the end of the pipe when it gets some oxygen to support combustion. Pretty easy to know when a bike it running rich. Does the exhaust smell like gasoline? And is the outlet of your pipe sooty with carbon deposits?

HAHA Exactly! sometimes i forget to ask the simple questions since im used to looking at it, and i agree about the combusting in the pipe the heat can cause the gases to ignite in the pipe or can

mine does the same thing with bmc race filter pair valve removed and hmf high mounts hasnt been tuned yet though

It looks like running rich but i dint know you could affect your A/F mixture so much just by installing slipons that it throws flames.

I have an 06' that I turbo'd ,,put the tune they sent for the kit which was a really rich tune in upper rpm's,,I only have the short pipe that comes out the right fairing,,at night goint about 70 if you let off,you get a gurgling sound along with blue/white flames blowing from the exhaust,,haven't tuned it different because it's fun to see and I'd rather it run a little rich than lean,,haha,,

If you haven't blocked off the pair values it could cause it. Also check for an exhaust leak. I had a TL-1000 that used to backfire and slang a flame out the exhaust and all it was I had a small exhaust leak for where the mid pipe meets the header pipe causing it.

i put my full system high mount back in 06... pair valve and small air box mod... used basic high mount suggested map for power commander...always ran rich. lots of carbon in end of pipes... tuned last summer...MAJOR DIFFRENCE.. 18+ HP.... recommend asap

chrisjp said:
i put my full system high mount back in 06... pair valve and small air box mod... used basic high mount suggested map for power commander...always ran rich. lots of carbon in end of pipes... tuned last summer...MAJOR DIFFRENCE.. 18+ HP.... recommend asap

Guess its a tune. I know it was rich before .. the pipes are basically strait now so its more prominent. What's the cost of a tune..roughly

Back