Finished race school!

Ononewheel

Registered
Just got back from Georgia, doing the Frank kinsey Racing school. It was a freaking awesome time. I learned an amazing amount, and in fact one of the things I learned was how little I really know.

The class is limited to 10 people, which allows Frank time to spend with each person. I attended the ccs licensing seminar the night before, which contained some really good theory, and race track etiquite(spelliing?). He starts the day with a long talk about some of the things you need to know on the track. Mostly safety oriented, but important never the less.

We spent the entire day running using no brakes. The idea is to show you that you can carry more speed into a corner than you would if you were using brakes, and REALLY show you how much speed you can scrub off with the front tire. The last session of the day he will let you run as you wish whith brakes, but encourages you to continue the no brake drill. I did, and am seriously glad, you would be amazed how fast you can get around a track without brakes.

The number one thing to learn... The race line. Find it, follow it! DO NOT get off of it. If you cant keep it on the line, back off a hair, and keep working on it. It became extremely apparent how important this is, as I was bust my ass to keep up with this guy, and he is practically riding one handed. He is just super smooth, and follows the line perfectly. He teaches to not look back or worry about the other guy behind. You have to take the attitude" I am following the line, screw you, you find a way around me." And its true too, many wrecks are caused by somebody at the track, wandering from the line. Especially while being or about to be passed.

There is SOOOOOOO much more he taught us. He would lead a few laps, and follow a few, then he would let you know what you did good, and what you did bad, as well as how to improve. He watches your line, you obody/foot position, and everthing.

Throughout the day i got significantly faster, and safer on the track. This was my 4th track day. And there is still so much to learn. We did 186 miles on the track, it would have been a little more but it rained in the AM.

I did not have time for many pics but here are some pit pics.

My rig

<!--EDIT|Ononewheel
Reason for Edit: None given...|1109351099 -->

Tent.JPG

Finally was able to remove the CHicken strip completely from my front tire. I can usually get it close. But finnaly got er done!

Front_tire.JPG

Picked up a new set of buns while I was there. Frank Kinsey is the distributor for Michelin Race tires. I picked up the power race soft front, and PR5 rear.

I also asked about heatcycles, and when the tires are shot. He says, the heat cycles are for dunlops, that rule does not apply to Michelin. I was very suprised. SO You should be able to run the michelins as long as it takes before they start going away. He backed it up with some big stories... too long for posting.

powerrace.JPG

Hey thats cool
cool.gif

I wish there were racing schools here in INDIA
sad.gif
Anyway, whats the pre-req to getinto one of these courses... maybe I could take a course when Im there in the US on a holiday or something

The ABOSOLUTE highlight of the trip, is the following picture.

Thats me on the left, and see if you recognize the guy on the right. He is a SUPER guy. He seriously was very cool. Thats his R1 behind us, and he rides it like a mad man. My friend and I were doing pretty well with the class. Well enough we didnt need so much attention from the teacher. Dave saw this, and took time to take us under his wing and show us around the track, chasing us, and leading us. Then providing valuble feed back in the pits. He was not obligated to help us out but he did, and was a TREMENDOUS help to us. I had a great time riding with him, and cant stop tellin people about it.

Our last session of the day, we hooked back up with Frank Kinsey, and got to do some of the best riding I have done yet since I have been on a motorcycle.

What a blast this trip was!

Dave.JPG

Hey thats cool
cool.gif

I wish there were racing schools here in INDIA
sad.gif
Anyway, whats the pre-req to getinto one of these courses... maybe I could take a course when Im there in the US on a holiday or something
Have a bike and some money and you are in. It helps to have some ability going in.. and be sure to do what they say, and you will benifit from it.

Sounds like you had an awesome day. Wish I could get around to doing something like that. I would really like to improve in that area of my riding.

Awesome!!! That sounds like a blast...
cool.gif

Jealous here...glad you had fun though...
smile.gif

I want to do something like this but there is nothing that I know of in or near WA state. I'm jeleous but thanks for the post!
smile.gif

just by the looks of your tires makes me want get a race bike for the track.
1/4 mile busa and a liter for the track,,,,,,oh the glory that would be.

Looks like a whole lot of fun and learning! One of these days I would love to get to a track for something like that.

Thanks alll for the kind words. To those of you, thinking of doing a trackday, but have yet to do it.... Go for it. I dont think I have met a person who was not hooked after the first time, it is more fun and safer than street riding all day long.

I want to do something like this but there is nothing that I know of in or near WA state. I'm jeleous but thanks for the post!
smile.gif
Check out "sullivanraceschool.com"

Mike Sullivan puts on an awsome school. He has two scheduled this summer in Seattle at Pacific Raceways. I believe it's June 1, and August 24? He also has classes in Spokanne. I attended the one in Spokanne and it's great. I love that track.

Give it a try, you won't be sorry!

Back