Finger adjusting Preloads

After installing heavier fork springs in my 09 I decided I wanted a way to adjust my preloads without any tools for them long rides to the mountains.
I wanted to be able to ride on the interstate with a nice smooth ride and then tighten her up when I get to my destination to ride the twisties.
So I found these at a reasonable cost under 25 bucks.

These will not work with GENII's unless you have spacers raising your handlebars. Also if you have weak fingers you will have a problem. Other then that I think I am going to like being able to adjust my preloads with no tools.

Preload adjuster.jpg

:worthless:

And what about a link?
I saw some awhile back. Really nice looking matching blue for both our bikes but opted against them as here in flatland once you're set you're set and I don't think I would ever touch them. Also as I am one with low ability to resist touching things I think it best I not have them as I'd be fiddling with them constantly :)

Yank, changing your preload settings on the fly does little if anything to change the ride other than ride height. You cannot change the tension on the fork springs with preload (Adding preload does not stiffen up the suspension). The spring rate is what it is no matter where the preload is set and can only be changed by replacing the spring. To change the stiffness of the ride you'll need to adjust your compression damping.

Yank, changing your preload settings on the fly does little if anything to change the ride other than ride height. You cannot change the tension on the fork springs with preload (Adding preload does not stiffen up the suspension). The spring rate is what it is no matter where the preload is set and can only be changed by replacing the spring. To change the stiffness of the ride you'll need to adjust your compression damping.

So I need to either buy some compression damping finger adjustments or make some :dunno:

Bought them off of ebay...

DMP Dynamic Moto Power, DMP-PARTS. COM

You've got the right idea Yank. The compression damping can/should be adjusted for different road surfaces. Rough surfaces are absorbed best with softer compression to allow the forks to compress more rapidly while nice smooth surfaces are managed best by stiffer compression. Street use is a balancing act between the rough stuff we encounter on most every ride at some point and the nice butter smooth surface of the interstate. Unless you are racing and there is an umbrella girl at the finish line, I would find a happy setting in the middle of rough and smooth and leave it there.

Stiff forks are more responsive while soft forks are more forgiving. The ideal setup is to allow the suspension both front and rear to absorb as much of the surface imperfections as possible without affecting the chassis.

Back