Finally made it into the 6's...love the Shinko Hookup

Quicker Gixxer

Registered
I was getting frustrated spinning all the way down the track hitting low 7's (in the 1/8th)....put a Shinko Hookup on last week and lowered her about an inch. This was my best of the night...but I had 5 others between 6.66 and 6.89. Thinking about stretching a little now...6-8" ? How far before it doesn't help and isn't worth the handling degradation that comes along with it?

6.62.jpg

Congratulations on meeting your goal. Not set your goal higher (lower et) and go after that! My bike is +6 out the rear and was in the 6.43 et the first pass because I set it up before ever going to the track. I weigh 265 lbs without gear. Did you have to fight a wheelie? There is definitely more in her, it just take practice. Whats exactly done to the bike?

You can go to 68" and it still helps a stock motor bike. It hurts handling a long ways before that though. (or is that "short ways" before that?)

Congratulations on meeting your goal. Not set your goal higher (lower et) and go after that! My bike is +6 out the rear and was in the 6.43 et the first pass because I set it up before ever going to the track. I weigh 265 lbs without gear. Did you have to fight a wheelie? There is definitely more in her, it just take practice. Whats exactly done to the bike?

Yes...setting my next goal for 6.41 because at 6.40 I have to get a NHRA License or some crap..lol. They told me this when I went through tech and he asked me how fast I run. I had no clue..

I didn't have to fight any wheelies...but I wasn't WOT either. It came up but it was pretty smooth...no big deal. It's lowered about an inch and strapped tight...so that helps. The motor is a 1397..ported, knife edged / balanced crank, upgraded cams and springs, oversized stainless exhaust valves...200HP. The shop that built it said it could do more with a couple changes...but they built it to be strong AND reliable...should take a 75 shot of spray with no problem. I might do a 50 someday..we'll see :whistle:

You can go to 68" and it still helps a stock motor bike. It hurts handling a long ways before that though. (or is that "short ways" before that?)

I'm thinking 6-8"...I'm not going to be doing any serious twisties (there aren't any around here anyway...GRRRR!) so I'm just gonna build it for looks and the strip. I'm having a blast out there..so why not? :)

I'm thinking 6-8"...I'm not going to be doing any serious twisties (there aren't any around here anyway...GRRRR!) so I'm just gonna build it for looks and the strip. I'm having a blast out there..so why not? :)

So you run at Rolling Thunder? I've got a buddy that runs a Mopar there.

Mine is stretched to 64" and lowered and is still rideable on the street. Well, it was until I put a sidewinder on which limits the right hand turn a little and is a bit loud, but with a Brock's exhaust it was fine. You can always switch back, especially if you get an arm that goes 0-6".

So you run at Rolling Thunder? I've got a buddy that runs a Mopar there.

Mine is stretched to 64" and lowered and is still rideable on the street. Well, it was until I put a sidewinder on which limits the right hand turn a little and is a bit loud, but with a Brock's exhaust it was fine. You can always switch back, especially if you get an arm that goes 0-6".

Yes...Rolling Thunder at the MAM complex. It's ok for an 1/8th track...I'd love to find a 1/4 though.

I'd like to find a swingarm that would go 0-6"...perfect. I'm trying to avoid extensions...I know the good ones are pretty reliable, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

It's easy to buy a new arm that is 0-6. That's what my Velocity arm is. Come over to Cedar Falls raceway 1/4 mile sometime. That's my home track and you can get a lot of passes in (probably can at Rolling Thunder too).

It's easy to buy a new arm that is 0-6. That's what my Velocity arm is. Come over to Cedar Falls raceway 1/4 mile sometime. That's my home track and you can get a lot of passes in (probably can at Rolling Thunder too).

I'm looking at Trac Dynamics right now...found a couple decent deals for 6-8". The shop doing the work said about 3 hours labor....so that's not bad I guess. I checked that track out....looks pretty cool and probably the closest 1/4 track around. It's about 4 hours away..but I'm thinking I'm due for a road trip. :whistle: I'll holler at ya when I figure out when and maybe we can hook up.

I'm looking at Trac Dynamics right now...found a couple decent deals for 6-8". The shop doing the work said about 3 hours labor....so that's not bad I guess. I checked that track out....looks pretty cool and probably the closest 1/4 track around. It's about 4 hours away..but I'm thinking I'm due for a road trip. :whistle: I'll holler at ya when I figure out when and maybe we can hook up.

Sounds good! I can help you sort through what to expect at the different events - expected traction, car count, etc.

How much do you guys weight? You should be going faster than that on a completely STOCK bike!

How much do you guys weight? You should be going faster than that on a completely STOCK bike!

I'm about 175...and yes, I know I can go faster. This was my 3rd time on the strip, on my first Hayabusa....and the first time with a decent tire..lol. More slips to come ;)

According to google... 1017'. Is that good or bad for my times?

That is going to make a difference but with your weight you need more practice. Work the clutch and get wide open throttle before the 60' beams. Your 60' isn't terrible but needs work. As you improve the throttle control and clutch,..your 330' times will start to come down as well. You are loosing it all from the start...

That is going to make a difference but with your weight you need more practice. Work the clutch and get wide open throttle before the 60' beams. Your 60' isn't terrible but needs work. As you improve the throttle control and clutch,..your 330' times will start to come down as well. You are loosing it all from the start...

Right...that's what it feels like. I'm still working on a good launch..body position and tuck. I've got a quick shifter I'm trying to get used to as well...I moved the lever down a bit because I kept missing shift...that helped. Thanks..

Wait, your bike is a 1397? You should be a LOT faster if that's the case. Have you had it dynoed to see what kind of power it makes and where in the RPM it starts falling off? Where are you shifting?

Your mph isn't bad for the 60', as it indicates to me you aren't getting the throttle open very soon. This is typical at the beginning. Once you get more practice your et will come down a lot and your mph will go up a little. You can't evaluate how well the bike is running until you are closer to being limited by the bike.

Wait, your bike is a 1397? You should be a LOT faster if that's the case. Have you had it dynoed to see what kind of power it makes and where in the RPM it starts falling off? Where are you shifting?

It's been dyno'd at 200hp...falls off around 10,500..but I know the tach is usually off a few %. I'm the problem...lol, I know this. Working on better launches and getting to WOT sooner...it's a monster out of the hole but I'm getting faster every week. I was just posting about the difference the Shinko made..as I was literally smoking the tire on every shift (when not using the quick shifter). Now it sticks pretty good...so I can focus on launches and better 60' times.

Your mph isn't bad for the 60', as it indicates to me you aren't getting the throttle open very soon. This is typical at the beginning. Once you get more practice your et will come down a lot and your mph will go up a little. You can't evaluate how well the bike is running until you are closer to being limited by the bike.

Exactly...that's my next area of focus...getting WOT sooner. I'm not in any hurry...want to get better over time, not wreck my bike like I've seen plenty of others do. I'll post again when I get some improved times.. thanks.

Back